Yes, you can line a litter box with a trash bag. It is easier than scrapping using a scooper. Lining a litter box with a trash bag is also cheaper than using other liners in the industry market.
Being a cat owner and an avid lover of cats, the most important things that I’ve learned over the years about lining a litter box with a trash bag are:
- The technique of lining the trash bag has to be right.
- The quality of the trash bag matters.
- Timing of lining and changing the litter box is very important.
- A constant routine of placing and removing the trash bag has to be maintained.
Why line a litter box with a trash bag?
Washing the litter box when you have to change it is time-consuming and can get frustrating no matter how big your love for cats is.
Scrapping the cat’s waste matter with a scooper and disposing of them in the trash creates a sharp odor which isn’t good for your immediate environment.
Some litter box liners are of extremely low quality and they, therefore, get ripped up inside the litter box (see also: how to clean a litter box with pellets).
Lining the litter box with a trash bag and removing it for replacement consistently at specific times creates a good routine for you and your cat(s)
The technique of lining the trash bag
The first thing is, you have to use two trash bags for maximum results and efficiency.
The trash bags have to be large, although this is relative depending on the size and shape of your litter box.
Regardless of the size of your litter box, the trash bags you use have to be bigger than the litter box.
You have to turn the trash bags inside out before sliding the litter box into one of them.
The second bag has to be slipped over the first before smoothing them down.
It is important to get garbage bags that have cinch ties so you can tie each loop from one trash bag corresponding with the second loop from the other trash bag.
Now pour in your litter and call upon your adorable cat(s). Give your cat some space and privacy as you go about your business in the house.
Speaking of which, whenever I’m trying to give my cat privacy when she’s using her litter box, I distract myself by cooking.
Ever since I was a baby, I’ve always been fascinated by the art of cooking. It is an actual art when you look at it from my perspective.
My go-to meal is always a one-pot chicken and rice dish. It is easy to make, doesn’t take much of your time, and is so delicious. By the time my meal is done, Bubba, my cat, should be done.
When it’s time to change the litter box, you need to carefully turn the two trash bags having grabbed the two corresponding cinch ties, then carefully tie them up.
By doing this, you will have secured the cat’s waste matter in the trash bag ready to be thrown. No odor, no mess.
The quality of the trash bag
In as much as lining your litter box with a trash bag is cheaper than using other litter box liners in the market, the trash bag still has to be of good quality.
Having been a cat lover and owner for a long time, I understand just what a thin trash bag can look like after being ripped apart in that litter box.
Good quality trash bags have a thick kind of material, are long and wide enough. It is also important to get trash bags with cinch ties in order for them to work effectively.
Timing of Lining and changing the litter box
- Lining and changing the litter box consistently is and at specific times is important.
- It creates a stable routine for your cat(s).
- It maintains/improves the health of your cat(s).
- It helps you manage your time very well because you are able to know when you are required to line or change the litter box.
You can definitely line your litter box with a trash bag. It will make your experience of changing the litter box easier and faster.
The benefits of lining the litter box with a trash bag are:
- Easy changing of the litter box
- Trash bags are generally available and affordable
- It reduces the number of times you have to change the litter box during changing time.
- It eradicates the odor that comes with the cat’s waste matter.
- It improves the health and environment of your cat(s).
- It helps you manage your time better when taking care of your cat(s).
- The key lesson here is, if all you have for lining the litter box is a trash bag, go ahead and use it. It’s just as effective.