No, there is no good reason to feed human biscuits to cats.
Why? Feeding human biscuits to cats can cause more health harm than you might think.
Whenever you are having your meals, cats tend to be around you; they want to have a taste of what you are eating. It is tough to avoid giving them what you are eating.
Cats will always have that look resembling the starving one and pretend they haven’t had meals in the past days.
Human biscuits are not poisonous to cats, but their ingredients are unhealthy; therefore, it will be wise if you feed them in a small amount at most.
Biscuits comprise wheat flour, whereby will be challenging for the cat’s digestive system. Digestion of wheat will be a problem as it contains gluten.
Additionally, wheat contains yeast fungi and several other toxins that are harmful to the general health of a cat.
Cats are classified as carnivores; therefore, it is essential to evaluate what they feed on. They should not eat things that are not their prey.
A cat cannot generate taurine, generally situated in human biscuits, as per the research done. It is very easy for a cat to develop heart problems.
In this post, you will also read about why human biscuits are not suitable for cats and the alternatives to human biscuits.
DISCLOSURE: https://catloverhere.com/ is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
Why Human Biscuits are not Suitable for Cats
As discussed in the introduction, human biscuits are entirely unsafe for cats. Don’t be tempted to feed them with the entire biscuit.
On the other hand, if you must provide them with biscuits, they should be in small amounts, not regularly.
Generally, a cat’s calorie requirement is around 300 calories, and a single biscuit can supply the needed level.
Biscuit ingredients like salt used may be a problem for your cat. Typically human biscuits tend to be sugary, and they contain high sugar levels in them. A high sugar level in the cats’ food is not recommended.
Butter and milk are the ingredients in the human biscuits; they are not suitable for cats. Typically dairy products have lactose, which cats find difficult to digest.
Poor digestion leads to stomach pains once they have eaten milk products.
Although the pain may not last long, it can make the cat vomit and have diarrhoea.
I am sure you don’t want to see your cat being overweight; avoid biscuits.
Biscuits will make your cat add on more weight by feeding on empty calories. Usually, being overweight has several reputations, like diabetes and heart-related problems.
Biscuits are not lethal to ending your cat’s life; however, the health issues can directly lead to heart failure.
Biscuits can be a good source of proteins; they also contain a high amount of fats, generally in the cat’s nutritional requirements.
Human biscuits contain a lot of fibre, which is unnecessary for a cat’s diet.
However, despite how good they can be, they have high starch levels in addition to fibre.
Generally, starch is not necessarily required in a daily cat’s diet.
Can Cats Eat Chocolate Biscuits?
The big ‘No No’ is to feed your cat a piece of human chocolate biscuit.
While chocolate can be enjoyed by humans, it is in fact, very toxic to cats.
Chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine.
Both of these can cause severe health problems to your cat, including rapid heart beat, increased body temperature, heart problems and seizures.
In extreme cases, cats can suffer from heart failure.
As you can see, NEVER give your cat chocolate biscuit
Not even a tiny amount.
Are Biscuits Good For Cats?
No, there is nothing beneficial in human biscuits for cats as they contain high levels of sugar and starch and fat and possibly even chocolate which is actually toxic to cats.
What to Feed Cats Instead of Human Biscuits?
Instead of feeding your cats with human biscuits, you can opt for other alternatives like biscuits designed specifically for cats.
If your cat has the habit of eating the same baking with you, give them a treat whenever they want to eat. A treat will create an impression that you are sharing the same biscuit; however, that will not be the case.
Some biscuits are purely meant for cats; therefore, they will not harm them.
The recipes used in making the biscuits don’t contain any ingredients that are harmful to the cat.
Avoid starting habits with your cat as early as possible. Once you don’t feed your cat with your biscuit, you will not need to be concerned with doing away with the bad habits or searching for alternatives.
Best Cat Biscuit Brands…
Here’s some popular cat biscuit brands that are much safer for your cat than human biscuits…
- HEALTHY CAT SNACKS – Wholesome cat treats that keep things deliciously simple, with natural tuna as the first ingredient
- SOFT TEXTURE CAT TREATS – These soft and chewy morsels are perfect kitten treats, snacks for aging cats, or just for those that prefer less crunch
- GRAIN FREE – Buddy Biscuits grain free cat treats are made without wheat, corn, soy, artificial flavors, colors or by-products
- HIGH-QUALITY – Give your feline companions the best. Made with premium meat for a taste they can't resist
- FRESH AND LOCAL – Our cat snacks come in a resealable bag to lock in freshness and flavor. Made in the USA
- Size: 8inch W X 12inch L (20cm x 30cm)
- Material: Tin (Harmless, Will Not Rust, Won'T Fade)
- Easy To Install: We Have Prepared Four Pieces Of Super Glue For You, And The Four Corners Are Pre-Drilled, You Can Not Only Hang, But Also Stick To The Wall Without Damaging The Wall
- Applicable Venue: Very Suitable for Farm, Pasture, Indoor, Outdoor, Garage, Bar, Cafe, Restaurant, Billiard Room, Hotel, Club, Etc. It Can Be Used Almost Everywhere.It Can Also Be Your First Choice To Send Gifts, Very Artistic Breath And Texture, Perfect!
- Perfect After-Sales Service: If You Don'T Like The Product Or Have Any Questions About Its Use, Please Feel Free To Contact Us, We Will Give You The Most Satisfactory Answer Within 24 Hours!
- STARTS WITH REAL CHICKEN AND TURKEY: BLUE Wilderness cat treats are meat-rich, soft treats made with more of the tasty chicken and turkey cats love
- GRAIN FREE CAT TREATS: Wholesome treats made without the grains that contain gluten
- NATURAL AND HEALTHY: At only 1.5 calories each, these irresistible cat snacks are the perfect reward for felines of all ages
- NO CHICKEN (OR POULTRY) BY-PRODUCT MEALS: Plus NO corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 2-oz bag of BLUE Wilderness Grain Free Soft-Moist Cat Treats, Chicken & Turkey
So, Can Cats Eat Biscuits?
No, for your cats’ health, you should not feed them with human biscuits.
Human biscuits have a high sugar level, which is unnecessary for the cats’ diet. Cats are carnivores, meaning they entirely depend on meat for their regular diet.
Yes, they are carnivores, but this is not a guarantee that you can feed them with meat only. For the cat’s health, you will need to add something else to their general diet like proteins, minerals, and vitamins.
Not all biscuits are safe for the cat’s consumption; learn to differentiate cats’ food from the humans’.
Human biscuits have high sugar levels and other unwanted elements that may temper your cat’s general health status. Instead of feeding your cat with a human biscuit, you can look for other alternatives to suit your cat.
Can Kittens Eat Biscuits?
No, for all the same reason older cats cannot eat biscuits neither are biscuits suitable for Kittens.
Human biscuits have a high sugar level, which is unnecessary for the cats’ diet, giving these to your kitten could make them ill.
Last update on 2023-01-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API