In this article you’re going to learn “Can cats eat moths?”
Are they toxic to cats?
Can it make them sick?
You’ve most likely seen your little fluff going crazy after a moth and then eating it!
Let’s find out if it’s okay for your cat to do this
Carry on reading
Do Cats Normally Eat Moths?
The answer – Yes, they do normally eat moths and they can eat moths according to prucepets
They pose no risk to your cat
It’s actually a good thing because cats love to chase them and they have fun trying to catch
Want to know a secret? Don’t laugh though
I’m terrified of moths! Lol
Luckily my cat is my bodyguard
Anytime a moth manages to get in the house and is flying around
I’ll call for my cat “Tigger” and bring him in the room and let him deal with it
It’s fun watching him chase it
Anyways, you shouldn’t worry if your cat has managed to grab one and then eat it – Should be no problem
One moth you should look out for and that is The Garden Tiger Moth as they could be poisonous when ingested
Although there is little known about the toxic effects on cats
If you by any chance happen to see your cat chasing a garden tiger moth then best to be safe and keep your cat away from it
Are Moths Toxic To Cats
As we mentioned earlier, moths are not toxic for cats
It’s safe for your cat to eat a moth
But don’t let your cat eat a lot (if that’s possible)
Cats get enjoyment out of trying to catch a moth
If you don’t want a moth to be eaten by your cat then leave the window open and try to let the moths out
If you’re not scared to hold them – you can hold it and let it outside
Is It Normal For a Cat To Eat Moths?
They enjoy chasing moths and butterfies too
Cats are predators and as soon as they see a insect or something flying about – they want to hunt for it and catch it
It’s in their instincts
Your cat would even eat a spider
After all they are predators
Are Moths Poison?
Moths are not poison
The only moths to look out for is the garden tiger moth as mentioned earlier in the article
They should do no harm to your cat
I mean, my cat has eaten moths without any problems
So your cat eating a moth should not cause any health problems to your kitty
But I still do recommend you ask the vets just to make sure it’s okay
What Happens If a Cat Eats a Moth?
Nothing bad will happen to your feline friend if they eat a moth
They actually enjoy it!
But if your cat has eaten too many moths (which will be unlikely) your cat would probably end up with a bad stomach
If this does happen by chance, be prepared to clean up puke on your living room carpet!
I have linen flooring so it’s easy to clean up – Happy days!
Can a Cat Get Parasite From Eating Moths?
It’s highly unlikely your cat will get parasites from eating moths
You should be concerned if your cat eats infected fleas or a mouse as this can cause your cat to become infected with tapeworms
You won’t find a cat getting tapeworm from eating a moth
Wrapping It Up
Can cats eat moths? Yes they can and they enjoy it too
If your cat has eaten a moth don’t worry about it unless it’s a garden tiger moth then you should keep your cat away from it
Either you can enjoy the entertainment of your cat catching a moth or you simply can hold the moth and let it out yourself (If you’re not scared!)
Alternatives To Mothballs
As mentioned earlier, mothballs are poisonous to cats
So what can you use to repel moths? I’m sure you don’t want your house to attract moths even though your cat enjoys catching them
You can use something called Cedar which is safe to use
These should do the trick in keeping moths away
What Bugs Are Poisonous To Cats?
Cats love to eat bugs and insects including flies too
But some bugs are actually poisonous to cats and it’s important to know which ones so you can keep an eye out and make sure your cat don’t eat any poisonous ones!
According to pets.thenest here’s what bugs are poisonous to cats
Wasps, hornets and bees
Spiders – Certain types like Black widow & brown recluses
These are bugs you should keep your cat away from
Yes some spiders are not harmful but black widow and brown recluses can actually cause neuromuscular damage with just one single bite!