I have a four-month-old kitty that I adore.
Recently, she started peeing on my kitchen countertops.
At first, I was very confused because she had her litter box in the laundry room.
I did a bit of research and was able to find the reasons why she did that.
I will share what I discovered and how I dealt with the problem.
Here is a list of possible causes for the problem.
1. Urinary tract or bladder infection.
2. Territory marking.
4. Chlorine bleach.
5. Litter box.
7. Declawed cats.
I will discuss each of these possibilities in detail and give you ways to solve them.
Most of these causes are either health-related or behavioral.
DISCLOSURE: https://catloverhere.com/ is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
Why Is My Cat Peeing On Countertops in Kitchen?
1) Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) or Bladder Infection Can Cause Your Cat To Pee On Countertops
UTI in cats can be truly painful which causes your cat to pee in inappropriate places such as the kitchen counter
They usually look for cool places to alleviate the pain when urinating so your cat may find the kitchen cooler or your cat might be peeing near the fridge or freezer
It’s a way for your cat to communicate with you that something is wrong
They can’t literally speak to you so they pee outside the litter box to try and tell you something is wrong!
The first thing to do is to visit the nearest vet clinic and check your cats well-being.
Don’t wait or hold back thinking your cat may just stop on their own because if you do this – there’s a chance things can get worse
If you’ve taken your cat to the vets and hopefully there’s nothing medically wrong and he’s all healthy then we need to do a little digging and see what other factors are causing this peeing on the kitchen counter.
If you want to prevent UTIs in future consider using “smart litter” brands that can detect this issue instantly, such as…
Pretty Litter defines it’s self as “the worlds smartest cat litter” and “Health monitoring litter that won’t break your back, or the bank”.
- Tracks potential illnesses in your cats – the litter changes colour to tell you when your cat has a health issue that needs dealt with.
- No more litter box smell – traps odor instantly and then eliminates moisture, so you’ll never smell your cat’s dirty business again.
- Scoop your cats poop less – no one likes doing it and now you don’t have to.
- Refill just ONCE per month – no longer do you need to refill the box daily!
- Cat litter delivered to your door – so you never run out and have to improvise.
- Cleaner and safer litter – is 99% dust free and household friendly.
- Over 20,000 customer reviews – so you know you’re getting a trusted and loved product.
It’s a natural cat litter that monitors your cats health by containing an indicator that changes colour when abnormalities in your cats urine are detected.
- PRIME & REVOLUTIONARY CAT LITTER: Scratchy Paw Litter is a revolutionary natural cat litter that monitors your cat's health. This premium item contains an indicator that responds to deviating values in the urine such as blood, alkaline, bilirubin, or abnormal PH levels.
- SUPER ABSORBENT: Our non-clump crystal sand cat litter allows urine or pee to be absorbed in seconds, the easiest way to keep your catbox fresh all day long. Plus, cleaning the litter box is quick and easy because it stays dry, leaving no trace. Best of all - no odor - making Alpha Paw cat supplies a great choice for multi-cat families.
- LOW-TRACKING: Our natural cat litter refill items do not contain perfume and will not stick to your cat's paws, preventing any unhealthy licking or messy house tracking. It is all natural, hypoallergenic, contains no chemicals and no additives added, safe for you and your cat or kitten.
- BEST ODOR CONTROL & DUST FREE: Help keep the litter box area neat and ready to use for your furry four-legged friend with Alpha Paw dustless cat litter. This scoopable cat litter stays ultra-clean even after weeks of scooping, creating a more inviting and better smelling litter box. Dust-free for less mess when you scoop and pour.
- TRUSTED BRAND: We only want the best for your furry companion, and we are committed to helping them live happier, healthier, and longer lives. Your pet is special and worth it, which is why we design honest, high-quality products curated by pet parents, for pet parents.
Carry on reading..
2) Stress Can Cause Cats To Pee On Kitchen Counter
Yes, cats can get stressed too and one of the reasons could be you have too many people, kids or cats in the house.
It’s a case of territory.
If your place is too crowded where your cat can’t have its own space, bad behavior might occur such as peeing on the kitchen top.
Another reason could be a new environment
Have you recently moved homes?
If you have then your cat will take time to get used to their new surroundings
You see, cats love routine and as soon as that changes it can cause stress which leads to peeing outside the litter box
If this is the case then I would recommend checking out my article – Cat not using litter box after moving
Your cat needs his own space.
Letting Him Relax and Play In His Own Space
One way you could do this is by getting him a cat tree where he can relax at the top and be away from all the noise and crowded areas
That way he can see his territory (the room) and feel safe and secure
This is very important if you have children or get a lot of visitors that are young children.
Here’s a good option with 4 levels and plenty of hiding spots…
- (Spacious & Versatile Fun Center) - No matter your kitten wants to overlook the world on the top perch, melt into the luxury deep hammock, or feel spoiled in the cozy cradle, this multi-purpose cat tree works perfectly as a recreation paradise! Your furry friends can play with the interactive hanging ball and loop, tour freely in their castle across the platforms, or just be lazy inside the warm condo - Exploration never ends!
- (Designed to Fulfill Your Cat's Nature) - This indoor cat tower is a go-to spot for your cat to play, exercise, and relax. Multiple scratching posts reinforced with natural sisal rope will satisfy your cat’s instinct of scratching. Multiple layers and ladder also meet your feline’s climbing nature. The cozy cat condo is a perfect hideaway for your sensitive baby to enjoy privacy. The top perch with raised edge feeds your cat’s desire to look out the window and to take a sunbath on sunny days
- (Sturdy Construction for Maximum Safety) - Crafted of heavy-duty particle wood, the strengthened base plates double secure the overall stability so this tall cat house won’t shake or fall when your cat jumps in or out. The robust posts are made of high-density particle wood tubes which can bear lots of weight and hold all platforms firmly without any wobbling, ideal for large kittens and average cats
- (Superior Quality Materials) - All platforms and supporting posts are made of strong P2-grade particle wood, ensuring the safety of your restless cat while jumping up and down this cat climbing tower. The skin-friendly plush covering gives feline-friendly softness and optimum warmth which your cat will never get enough of. The durable sisal rope allows your cat to sharpen the nails while saving your delicate furniture from scratches
- (Easy Assembly Cat Tree) - Easy-to-use cat playground equipped with detailed graphic instructions for hassle-free installation. Overall dimension - 26.3” L x 19.6” W x 61” H (67x50x155cm). This attractive cat trees and towers in elegant gray will blend nicely with your room decor as a piece of modern cat furniture. A purrrfect gift for both your kitten and your sweet home!
You can check out my article – best affordable cat trees
Likewise consider using a Cat Calming Kit…
Using Cat Calming Pheromone Diffuser Kit
These can help de-stress and reduce anxiety in cats…
- ✅100% DE-STRESS FORMULA: Our calming diffuser refill & plug-in is one of the best anti-stress diffusers for cats that helps to reduce anxiety. A solution to decrease fighting between cats and allow them to live in harmony
- ✅ DRUG-FREE: The diffuser emits a copy of the harmony marker pheromone. This allows cats to feel at ease and maintain a harmonious connection with one another.
- ✅ CORRECTION PROBLEMATIC BEHAVIOR: Effective for 90% of cats to reduce fighting, scratching, urine marking, hiding, and other behavior among cats in the household
- ✅HOW TO USE: The diffuser kit covers an area of up to 700 square feet for 30 days of use. After that, you need to replace the refill. Plugin upright into a wall outlet with vents facing up and never into power strips. Unsafe use can cause the diffuser's increase odor or leak.
- ✅ FIRST EFFECT: For best results, keep the diffuser connected for at least 7 days at all times
A cat that is stressed needs love and affection
They need assurance that you love them so be gentle
Yes, it’s frustrating when they are peeing everywhere but shouting at them is just going to make things worse
Love and affection is needed
Here’s an article I wrote about how to calm a stressed cat down
3) Dirty Litter Box Can Cause Cat Peeing On The Counter
Cats are very clean animals.
I mean, they spend around 30% of their timing grooming themselves!
So imagine if the litter box is dirty
There is no way they will use at all
When you think of it – you can’t blame them
We humans wouldn’t use a washroom that is not clean so the same goes for your cat
It is best to scoop the litter as much as possible.
Try to scoop twice a day if you can
A fresh clean litter box will surely entice your cat to use it!
If you’re a busy person and you know life can get busy then I would recommend investing in a self cleaning litter box
You don’t have to scoop litter ever again
Saves you so much time and hassle because your cat won’t be peeing outside the litter box!
Robotic Self Cleaning Litter Boxes
With these self cleaning litter boxes your cats box will always be clean and therefore it will increase the chance that they use it, see how these work here…
- Self cleaning
- Odor eliminations
- Google and Alexa voice controls
- Advanced sensors and radars to keep your kitty safe
- Smart connected app
- Triple layer safety protections
- Free Shipping (US only)
- 90 Day Trial
- 1 Year Warranty
- AUTOMATIC CLEANING: Automatically clean up the excrement after the cat has finished defecating, automatically detect when the cat has left the safety and set the delayed cleaning time by APP. The excrement is separated from the clean cat litter in the litter box, just replace the litter bag when it is full.
- INTELLIGENT PEACE OF MIND: Microwave radar 360-degree defense, cats approaching automatically stop. Heat sensing inside the bucket, cat inside the bucket to stop running the machine. Infrared sensing at the bottom of the bucket, if the cat is caught, the machine stops returning and notifies you by APP immediately.
- DUAL ODOR PURIFICATION: With the intelligent deodorizer, automatically adjusts the number and length of deodorization according to the cat's toileting record, or APP one-key deodorization. The toilet bin is equipped with a plant essential oil deodorizing box to reduce odor.
- APP REMOTE MONITORING: One key deodorization, one key poop removal, one key litter replacement function, record toileting habit data to monitor the safety and health of cats, toileting situation litter cleaning, litter box full, abnormal notification.
- SUPPORT A VARIETY OF CAT LITTER: Unique design sieve filter, bentonite sand, mixed mineral sand, plant sand and other long and short coarse and fine cat litter can be applied (in addition to crystal cat litter).
- AUTOMATICALLY REMOVES WASTE: No scooping, cleaning or refilling your cat's litter box for weeks
- UNBEATABLE ODOR CONTROL: Crystal litter removes smell by absorbing urine and dehydrating solid waste
- NO MORE MESSY FLOORS: Low-tracking crystals are 99% dust free and don’t stick to your cat’s paws; a hooded cover helps keep kitty litter inside the box
- LEAK PROTECTION: Disposable trays have plastic lining to help protect against leaking and keep your floors clean
- EASY CLEANUP: Simply remove the tray and throw it away; each tray includes a lid for quick disposal
- AUTOMATICALLY SCOOPS AFTER EVERY USE: Equip with smart-detection motion sensor and removable automatic rake for a convenient cleanup
- 24/7 FRESHNESS WHEN USED AND STORED AS DIRECTED: Waste receptacle keeps mess and odor contained. High walls help prevent litter scatter. The paw cleaning ramp helps prevent tracking around the box
- EXTRA-LARGE BOX: Designed for multiple cats over 15 lb. This litter box is great for frequent travelers, families and children and multi-pet households
- NIGHT LIGHT: Includes night light setting to create nighttime visibility for your cats
- EASY SETUP: Simply refill, relax and remove. For optimal performance, get the full line of Nature's Miracle products - litter, accessories and more
Check out my article – best automatic itter box for the money
4) Declawed Cats
Declawing cats may not be illegal in other countries, but doing so is cruel and inhumane.
It is painful for cats and will cause behavioral issues.
Claws are cats’ natural protection.
They also use it to scratch and bury their waste.
Another thing is that cats might feel pain when they try to bury their waste in the litter box.
That’s why many pet owners carried out a petition to illegalize declawing cats to places where it is legal.
They could be trying to scare away mice which is a good thing because they are trying to protect you from mice.
You need to check your house for rodents and fumigate your house if necessary.
6) Chlorine bleach being used
Many cats do not like the smell of chlorine bleach.
They will pee on the surface to let you know that that’s their space and they don’t like the smell of bleach particularly lemon scented cleaners.
So if you disinfect your countertops using chlorine bleach, it may cause your cat to behave this way.
Likewise, if you’ve been cleaning their litter box with bleach or other disinfectants that they don’t like the smell of it may be why they’ve stop using them all together.
Try instead to use a fragrance free Enzyme Cleaner that you can clean both your cats litter box with and the kitchen counter top with too…
Why is my cat peeing on the counter?
- Urinary tract or bladder infection.
- Territory marking.
- Chlorine bleach.
- Dirty litter box.
- Declawed cats.
How To Stop Your Cat Peeing On The Kitchen Counter If None Of These Other Solutions Work
When your cat starts to pee outside the litter box it can become a real problem
Trust me, I know myself as I have experienced
It can get to such a problem where family members talk about rehoming our furbaby
Or we start to get into bickering fights with our partners
Before it gets to this point or if it has – it’s time to put a stop to this
It’s not easy
The internet has so much information and advice
So you go to one website and they say do this
But then another website says the complete opposite!
It can get overwhelming
That’s why I would recommend checking out this guide called…
I got this myself and trust me it is so deep! See my full Cat Spraying No More Review
You know what I love about it
- All the information is in one place
- It’s a step by step system that you just need to follow
- You get it straight away via email in a PDF format so it’ll never get lost
- Backed with a 60 day money back guarantee
You get 4 FREE bonuses
Last update on 2022-06-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API