Bathtubs look like a strange place for cats to pee but surprisingly, most cats can spend almost the whole day in the bathtub.
Spending their time in a bathtub can’t be of a big deal but peeing in the bathtub is definitely a problem that should be checked out.
You can never know what’s going inside your cat’s head however, cats tend to choose the bathtubs because of a couple of reasons which include;
• Picking up the smell of ammonia in some of your cleaners.
• The cool surface brings out a soothing feeling.
• They sure love to scratch on a smooth surface.
In this article are 3 reasons why your cat keeps peeing on the bathtub and how to stop it.
DISCLOSURE: http://catloverhere.com/ is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
Why Is My Cat Peeing In The Bathtub?
Some of the reasons your cat might be peeing in the bathtub include;
1. Medical reasons.
When your cat suddenly starts peeing on the bathtub and not the litter box then maybe it is going through a serious medical condition which requires a vet.
It might be experiencing a disease in the kidney or a urinary tract infection.
Be keen to check on how your cat is peeing, if the cat is struggling to pee or showing any signs of pain while peeing then you should visit a vet immediately before the condition worsens.
Your Cat May Have A UTI
One of the most common reasons a cat will not use the litter box is because of UTI
It’s important to make sure your cat is okay and not suffering
A health check should be the first thing.
Now if your cat is all healthy which is great we need to look at other reasons
Detecting UTIs In Cats
There are Cat Litters that will change to Blue or Dark Green if your cat potentially has a UTI.
It can potentially save your cats life, see this one here…
Pretty Litter defines it’s self as “the worlds smartest cat litter” and “Health monitoring litter that won’t break your back, or the bank”.
- Tracks potential illnesses in your cats – the litter changes colour to tell you when your cat has a health issue that needs dealt with.
- No more litter box smell – traps odor instantly and then eliminates moisture, so you’ll never smell your cat’s dirty business again.
- Scoop your cats poop less – no one likes doing it and now you don’t have to.
- Refill just ONCE per month – no longer do you need to refill the box daily!
- Cat litter delivered to your door – so you never run out and have to improvise.
- Cleaner and safer litter – is 99% dust free and household friendly.
- Over 20,000 customer reviews – so you know you’re getting a trusted and loved product.
Alpha Paw – Color Changing Genius Litter
It’s a natural cat litter that monitors your cats health by containing an indicator that changes colour when abnormalities in your cats urine are detected.
No products found.
2. Mental issues.
Like human beings, cats can also have anxieties and stress in that the smallest detail like a change of environment or changing their litter box can be very stressful to them.
While at this time, the cat might be having a chemical imbalance which results in misbehaviour.
In case there aren’t any reasons that might stress your cat out and also no health problems, visit a vet and get mood medication options.
3. Issues with their litter box
Among the top reasons why your cat starts peeing elsewhere is the litter box.
Unclean litter boxes might be very uncomfortable for a cat or maybe they’re not comfortable with new litter boxes since they’re not used to them.
Also, most cats don’t like sharing the litter box and thus you’re advised to add more litter boxes.
Avoid changing the surroundings inside the litter box, this might be the reason for them to start peeing in the Bathtub.
Dirty Litter Box
The litter box plays an important role in your cats life
Think about it, they use it everyday
Now just like us humans, we would never use a washroom that is filthy
Your cat is the same too
If the litter box is not clean then don’t expect your cat to use it
If you’re wondering how often should you wash the litter box then check out my article by clicking here
Changing the litter and scooping should be done everyday.
If you can clean it twice that’s brilliant otherwise at least everyday you should clean it
How To Always Have A Clean Litter Box
Amazingly with a robotic litter box you can ALWAYS have a clean litter box which will encourage your cat to use it instead of the bath tub…
Leo’s Loo Too Covered Automatic Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
- Self cleaning
- Odor eliminations
- Google and Alexa voice controls
- Advanced sensors and radars to keep your kitty safe
- Smart connected app
- Triple layer safety protections
- Free Shipping (US only)
- 90 Day Trial
- 1 Year Warranty
Check Latest Price
READ CUSTOMER REVIEWS
Self Cleaning Litter Boxes on Amazon
No products found.
Number Of Litter Box
Some cats like to pee in one litter box and poo in another
If you have only one litter box then you should get another one
The general rule is for one cat one litter box +1
The Type Of Litter
Some cats are very picky with the litter you use
Have you changed cat litter?
Or maybe your cat just does not like the litter you’re using anymore
The best cat litter I would recommend is something that is dust free and can control the odor
Soft Litters For Cat With Sensitive Feet…
No products found.
Have a read of my article
Top 6 best dust free cat litter
How to stop your cat from peeing in the bathtub?
The first step if finding a solution to your cat’s mysterious behavior is by checking out its medical condition.
Once it is cleared from the vet then you can deal with the stress level and addition of litter boxes in case you have many cats. Some steps to stopping your cat from peeing in the bathtub include;
1. Checking up with the Vet.
This is the first step you should take when your cats suddenly start showing strange behaviour is visiting the vet.
Preventing the issue before it becomes a serious situation is the best medicine. The most common disease might be a urinary tract infection and that is why the vet is very important to your cat.
2. Avoid stressing your cat.
Your cat’s behaviour might change due to a change in environment, you are advised to try reducing the stress it’s undergoing by being gentle and patient.
In case you have a new pet, roommate or even a baby, the cat might feel like they aren’t getting enough attention like before and thus resulting in stress.
Try to spend more time with your cat by brushing it, petting or engaging in games with the cat.
In a cat’s eye, there’s nothing like too much attention from their best person.
Cat stress defusers can really help calm a cat down…
No products found.
3. Eradicating all their smell from the bathtub.
Even after cleaning your bathtub and thinking that it is already clean, keep in mind that the scent of a cat’s urine is very strong and the best way to remove all traces is by using an enzyme cleaner.
By eradicating all the smell, it will take a while before they get attracted to the same spot again.
How To Clean Cat Urine From Bathtub
You can clean it with water but the problem is if the smell of urine is still there your cat may go and pee in the bathtub again!
I would recommend using a enzyme cleaner
At least that way you know the smell of cat urine is gone completely.
The All Natural Enzymatic Cleaner
Try to not use bleach or anything that has chemical in it
Which cat urine remover should you use?
I would recommend checking out Rocco & Roxie
I have written a review on this which you can check out by clicking the link below
Rocco & Roxie Stain &Odor Eliminator Review
Use Bodhi Cat No More Marking Spray In The Bathroom
Cats are attracted to the pheromones and odors from the urine causing them to continually pee in the same spots but you can eliminate that with the Bodhi Spray here…
No products found.
Why Do Cats Pee In The Bathtub?
The 3 reasons why your cat keeps peeing on the bathtub instead of the litter box include;
• Medical reason: Maybe it is undergoing a urinary tract infection or a kidney problem and the only solution is to visit the vet regularly.
• Mental issues. Your cat might be going through stress due to the recent change in environment or change in position of the litter box. Try being patient and gentle with your cat.
• Litter box. In case you have many cats, try adding more litter boxes because cats might feel uncomfortable sharing the litter box.
How To Stop Your Cat From Peeing In The Bathtub
Also some of the ways to stop your cat from peeing in the bathtub include;
• Regular checkups with the vet to ensure that your cat is cleared. This prevents any further health- related complications.
• Reduce the stress and anxiety of your cat by being gentle, patient, friendly, and even spending almost all your free time with it. Cat seeks attention and once they feel they aren’t getting enough attention they become stressed out.
• Use enzyme cleaners to eradicate all their scent from the bathtub as they are attracted to their scent and that’s why they keep peeing on the bathtub.
- Or train the cat to stop spraying / peeing anywhere other than it’s litter box.
That’s why I recommend this guide called “Cat Spraying No More”
It’s a guide that will teach you how to get your cat to use the litter box
The best part?
It’s a very easy step by step system that you can follow
You don’t have to go to all different websites to get your answers
It’s all there in front of you – you just have to follow it
The things you learn in this guide I don’t think you’ll find over the internet
Just think about it
Your cat using the litter box all the time
No more accidents
Let me quickly list the pros of buying Cat Spraying No More so you can see for yourself if it’s for you
- Easy to follow
- PDF Guide so sent to you straight away via email
- 4 AWESOME bonuses you receive
- Very affordable
- 60 day money back guarantee
Here’s my purchase proof to show I bought it…
Oh and there’s a $10 OFF coupon code which you can
That’s $20 OFF the original price!
I don’t know how long this coupon code will stay active so you might want to act quick
>>Click here to check if coupon code is still working<<
If you want to learn more about this guide then I have a in-depth review which you can check out
Related Article – Cat Peeing On Dog Bed
Related article – Why is my cat peeing everywhere all of a sudden?
Last update on 2023-03-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API