Do Cats Get Lonely at Night?
Yes and no
If your cat has nothing to do then of course they will get lonely
Especially if you have only one cat
And if you don’t have anything that will keep them entertained then they can get lonely
This is something you don’t want happening
Because if your cat feels lonely and bored then your cat will try to wake you up
Constantly meowing at night for some attention
Now if you have to wake up early and need your sleep
This can become a problem
So that’s one problem
No sleep for you
The other problem is
If your cat becomes lonely then this can cause boredom and depression
DISCLOSURE: https://catloverhere.com/ is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
Can Cats Get Lonely And Depressed?
Just as us humans can get lonely
Cats can get lonely too
And we all know loneliness can turn into boredom which then has knock on effect to depression unfortunately
You don’t want your cat to become lonely and depressed
No cat parent would want that
A depressed cat can lead to health complications
It can cause litter box avoidance
Constant over grooming
And all other problems
I’m not trying to scare you or anything
It’s something important that us cat parents need to think about and consider
All these health complications can lead to expensive trips to the vets
A house full of cat urine and poo (You don’t want your house smelling like cat urine for sure!)
It’s not nice seeing your cat constantly over grooming because this can lead to patches on your cats fur
Imagine this can all happen due to loneliness
So let’s step back and look at this situation
At night, cats can become very active
But the problem is we’re sleeping
So our little furbaby has nothing to do
And because they got nothing to do they can become lonely and bored during the night
It’s not practical for you to stay up during the night
So what can you do
You have to figure out a way to keep your cat entertained at night
Let’s look at how this is possible
How To Keep Your Cat Entertained At Night
It’s not hard to keep your cat busy during the night
What you need to do is catify your house
What do I mean by this?
Get your cat their own type of furniture
Such as a cat tree
Or scratching posts
Play mat tunnels
Cat trees are pretty awesome and will keep your cat busy for sure
There are so many cat trees out there to choose from
You don’t have to do the research to look for the best ones
I actually have a article that you could check out by clicking the link below
I recommend some pretty cool cat trees at really good prices
So if you have a budget then you deffo should check it out
The one cat tree I would recommend is the Armarkat Cat Tree
It’s very popular among cat parents and has really good ratings
I have written a in depth review if you’re interested in reading it
Cat trees are made for cats of course and they will love it
It will keep your cat busy
You can also get some play mat cat tunnels
I find these pretty cool as well
If you have these sort of cat furniture it will make sure your cat has something to do
With a cat tree, they can jump from perch to perch
Cat trees also has scratching posts so your cat could get busy scratching that up!
Sometimes these things you may already have so let’s look at different toys you can possibly use for your cat to keep them busy at night
Try These Night Time Cat Toys
If you already have a cat tree or other sort of cat furniture and your cat is still lonely or trying to wake you up
Don’t worry because there’s other toys you can give your cat to play with during the night
Let’s call it night time cat toys!
So here’s a few you may want to consider getting for your little furball
- QUIET NIGHTTIME CAT TOY: Cats are naturally nocturnal creatures and need a way to satisfy their need to play and hunt -- even while you're asleep. With the Nighttime Quiet Firefly Mat your kitty can play without waking you up.
- TOUCH ACTIVATED: The mat's randomly flashing lights are touch activated and automatically turn off when your kitty is finished with play.
- INDEPENDENT PLAY: The quiet blinking lights entertain your cat or kitten for hours of independent nighttime play while you sleep uninterrupted.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Simply wipe with a damp cloth and air dry.
- PLAY IT SAFE: This product contains a button or coin cell battery. If swalloed it can cause internal damage of lead to death. Keep new and used batteries away from children. No toy is indestructible. Do not leave toys with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace toy if damaged as serious injury may result. Intended for cats only. This toy is not recommended for cats that chew heavily.
This is a cool toy that will keep your cat busy at night
I won’t go into much detail on what they do but talk about it briefly
I’ll leave a link for you so you can find out more
Anyways, this firefly mat is very popular among cats
It’s basically flashing lights that flash on the mat
And we all know cats love chasing light
This will keep your cat entertained during the night for sure!
- Soft fabric balls are perfect for quiet play
- Safe, non-toxic material
- Great for daytime too!
These are glow in the dark balls
They’re really cool because they don’t make noise but glow in the dark
Your cat will love playing with this
The best part?
You won’t get disturbed
And your cat will be busy playing with this during the night!
- CAPTIVATE YOUR CAT'S ATTENTION & SATISFY ITS HUNTING INSTINCTS: (i) Unique stimulating interactive cat toy or kitten toy that simulates prey popping out from 6 entries with a randomized and fast paced feel. (ii) LED lighting great for daytime or nighttime!
- HELPS KEEP YOUR CAT NIMBLE, PHYSICALLY FIT, & MENTALLY STIMULATED: (i) Focused, interactive play from cat toys can improve your cat's overall wellness & happiness. A great alternative to a cat puzzle toy, laser pointing cat toy, cat wand, and traditional cat feather toys.
- ANTI-SKID FEET: (i) Keeps these interactive cat toys for indoor cats in place on smooth surfaces like hardwood floors and tile.
- MULTIPLE LEVELS OF PLAY: Automatic cat toy with fast mode (blue) & slow mode (green/yellow) to keep cats entertained & engaged making these perfect electronic cat toys for indoor cats.
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: (i) Purple mode extends and pauses making it easy to replace feathers. (ii) 3-pack replacement feathers available for purchase. (iii) Batteries included featuring long battery life with 8 minute auto-shut-off feature. (iv) 12 MONTH WARRANTY on any part that is broken due to manufacturer defect.
A very interactive toy for your cat
I mean which cat wouldn’t want to play with a feather that rotates!
The feather pops out from different holes for your cat to catch
It has LED lights so it will grab your cats attention
Brilliant interactive toy that will keep your cat busy and entertained during the night
- Design for Fun: This butterfly teaser toy can activate your kitty’s prey instinct for rewarding interactive playtime sessions
- 360 Degree Rotation: The flash butterfly can rotate in 360 degree. And this butterfly is constantly spinning, your cat can play with it when you are away.
- Two Butterfly Refills: The toy is equipped with two replacement butterflies, so your cat can play with it for long time. Work with 3 AA batteries(Not included)
- Healthy for Cats: Adds much-needed exercise for your cat to keep him healthy, especially if he’s an indoor feline.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: Your satisfaction is our priority. All our products are backed by 1-year warranty, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!
I love this toy
It’s so entertaining
So imagine for a cat how entertaining it would be!
This butterfly flutters around and bounces when your cat tries to catch it
It’s a great way of keeping your cat entertained and active too
Here’s a video of a cat playing with it
How entertaining is that?
That will keep your cat busy during the night for sure
Your cat won’t feel lonely if he’s got this to play with
It’s pretty cool at how many different ways you can keep your cat entertained during the night
There are some awesome cat toys that will keep your cat busy whilst you’re sleeping
Technology has sure improved which is a good thing for us cat parents
But that doesn’t mean we should just leave our cats to it and let them play on their own
During the day when you’re at home then it’s important to spend quality time with your cat
This is a great way of increasing the bond between the two of you
Cats need our love and attention!
Get Your Cat To Sleep At Night
I guess the best thing to do is to get your cat to sleep during the night
Easier said than done
But it doesn’t mean it’s impossible
You can get your cat to sleep during the night
Every cat parents dream
And I’m going to reveal the “secret” to you
Get them tired during the day!
What you need to do is try to keep your cat active during the day as much as you can
I know cats love to nap and curl up into a ball and sleep for long periods!
But as soon as they are awake and you’re at home with them
Try to spend as much time as possible
Play with them and make them run around
This is a great way of bonding with your cat
Also, it helps release that energy cats have especially during the nights
So before you go bed
Spend time playing with your cat
Get your little furball to run around
Try to do schedule an hour of play before you go to bed
Hopefully, your cat will get tired and just fall asleep
You can then keep this up as a routine so your cat gets used to it
Cats love routine
At least that way you know your cat is not lonely during the night because she’s sleeping
Another thing to mention is feeding your cat right before bed
If your cat is full then this will stop them being hungry at night
Your cat will sleep with a full stomach
A side note, when you’re at work and nobody is home then this could lead to loneliness too because your cat will be active during the day
You don’t want that happening
Have a read of my article
So, Do Cats Get Lonely At Night?
Cats can get lonely during the night
Especially if they have nothing to do
That is why it’s important to add some cat furniture to your house
Make your house more cat friendly
Such as cat trees and cat benches
This will keep your cat busy during the night
Also, you should look to add some self interactive toys
Try to get your cat to sleep during the night if possible
Spend at least an hour before you go bed with your furball
This will tire her out and make her want to sleep too!
You can easily then keep this as a routine
If you can’t do this and still worry about your cat being lonely at night then you should consider getting your cat a companionship
Getting another cat is a great way of giving your cat company
At least she has someone to play with (and play fight too!)
That way, both cats can keep each other company during the night
Last update on 2022-08-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API