If you’re wondering why is my Cat peeing on plastic bags then you’ve come to the right place
In this article you’re going to learn why your little feline friend loves peeing on plastic bags, including…
- Medical reasons.
- Unfamiliar with a new house.
- New arrivals in the family.
- A dirty litter box.
As well as finding out what you can do about them/
And you’ll discover how you can stop this and get them to pee IN the litter box
Let’s get started!
DISCLOSURE: https://catloverhere.com/ is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
Cat peeing on plastic bags, why?
1) The Cat is Marking Territory That’s Why Your Cat Pees On Plastic Bags
Cats are territorial, and they love using urine to mark their territory. If a cat urinates on a plastic bag, it could be looking to demonstrate its dominance over other pets in the building.
If you notice that your cat is peeing on plastic bags, you can undertake several measures to prevent the issue.
First, place a litter box in an area where the cat feels safe and comfortable. It should be in a quiet place far from where the cat eats or sleeps.
Second, try to use a litter box with many sides. This way, the cat will feel a sense of enclosed security and prevent it from marking its territory.
Like this popular enclosed litter box choice…
- Enclosed hood with two-way swinging door helps prevent litter scatter outside of the box and contains urine spray inside
- High polished, non-stick finish is easy to clean and resistant to stains and odors
- Includes a replaceable zeolite air filter to absorb and reduce litter odors
- Made in the USA and BPA-free
- Measures 19.5 x 15.25 x 17 assembled
Or this high sided litterbox option…
- High-impact plastic
- Odor and stain resistant
- Framed design helps prevent litter spills
The last solution you can try is to use a pheromone diffuser.
This product discharges a calming chemical substance that helps lower cats’ stress levels and makes them less likely to mark the territory.
- 😺 VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDED: Comfort Zone is a veterinarian recommended solution to keeping cats, safe, happy, and calm.
- 😺 HOW TO USE: Plug diffuser upright into a wall outlet with vents facing up and never into power strips. Improper use may cause the diffuser to become discolored, increased odor, or cause leaking.
- 😺 CERTIFIED: Diffusers certified to UL safety standards and include a shut-off feature to prevent overheating and a rotatable plug to ensure upright placement in any wall outlet.
- 😺 BUY MORE AND SAVE: Our Value Kit includes 3 diffusers and 6 refills to blanket three rooms of your home with harmonizing pheromones to ease multi-cat tension for up to 60 days.
- 😺 DRUG-FREE: Drug-free solution that helps to calm your stressed cat and reduce urine spraying, scratching, and other unwanted behaviors.
2) Your Cat Doesn’t Love the Litter Box (For Various Reasons)
While there are many reasons why your cat is not using the litter box, you first need to check whether it’s clean. Cats are spotless animals.
Furthermore, cats want to live in a clean environment. If a cat sees a dirty litter box, the chances are high that it will avoid it. Due to this, remember to clean the litter box regularly.
Dirty Litter Box Issues
A Cat will avoid using the litter box if it’s dirty just as how we humans would not want to use a washroom that is not up to our standards
And Cats standards are very high lol
You should try to clean it twice a day and if that’s difficult then at least once a day
I know it can be hard especially if you’re busy and work full time
If that’s the case then you should invest in a automatic litter box
At least that way you know the litter box is cleaned regularly and it will stop this behavior.
Automatic Robotic Self Cleaning Litter Boxes
If you use a Robotic self cleaning litter box then your cats box will always be clean and therefore it will increase the chance that they use it, see some of the best options here…
- Self cleaning
- Odor eliminations
- Google and Alexa voice controls
- Advanced sensors and radars to keep your kitty safe
- Smart connected app
- Triple layer safety protections
- Free Shipping (US only)
- 90 Day Trial
- 1 Year Warranty
Self Cleaning Litter Boxes on Amazon
- THERE IS A NEWER VERSION OF THIS ITEM THE NRA15-V5.0
- Easy to use
- Cleans in seconds. Clean litter drops back into the pan while the waste deposits into a convenient pull-out tray for quick and easy disposal
- Does not require electricity, liners or filters
- Suitable for small to Medium cats
- SELF CLEANING ELITE LITTER BOX LARGE With extra features including Integrated Litter Step, Chrome Plated Locking Clips and Accents and signature Midnight Black color.
- PATENTED SELF CLEANING SIFTING GRATE Separates waste from clean litter depositing waste in convenient pull out tray no scooping required!
- FEATURES INTEGRATED LITTER STEP The litter setp is designed to catch and contain litter from cats paws
- STRONGER IMPROVED CLIP DESIGN The Elite features the newer stronger clip design. STRONGER MORE DURABLE MATERIAL The newer versions of the Roll 'n Clean litter box feature stronger more durable material and a stronger sifting grate
- PROUDLY MADE IN CANADA using high quality materials.
- SELF CLEANING ELITE LITTER BOX REGULAR with extra features including integrated Litter Step, Chrome Plated Locking Clips and Accents and signature Midnight Black Color
- PATENTED SELF CLEANING SIFTING GRATE separates waste from clean litter depositing waste in convenient pull out tray no scooping required!
- FEATURES INTEGRATED LITTER STEP The litter step is designed to catch and contain litter from cats paws. No need for liners, filters or wall plug-in
- STRONGER IMPROVED CLIP DESIGN The Elite features the newer stronger clip design, with the added bonus of chrome plating. STRONGER MORE DURABLE MATERIAL The newer versions of the Roll 'n Clean litter box feature stronger more durable material and a stronger sifting grate.
- PROUDLY MADE IN CANADA
I have written a article on the best automatic litter box for large cats but it’s the same for normal size cats too: Best automatic cat litter box for large cats
Indeed, a small litter box could be why your cat is avoiding it. If the cat feels confined, it could opt to pee or poop somewhere else.
Luckily, you can solve this problem by swapping the small litter box with a big one.
There’s a good option for a large litterbox here which is perfect for bigger cats…
- WASTE DISPOSAL MADE EASIER- Alfapet sets out to make the pet owner’s life easier when it comes to doing the dirty work- cleaning the cat pan. Our elastic litter box liner helps you rid of the kitty litter easily, in one swift motion- when it’s time, simply take the cat litter liners off the pan with the waste and dispose it- as simple as it gets.
- EXCLUSIVE DESIGN WITH STA-PUT TECHNOLOGY- Our cat box liners feature our trademark Sta-Put technology- We incorporate into the liner’s design an elastic band to keep the cat litter bags liners firmly in place so it doesn’t come off the cat pan. This way we ensure a secure fit that stays on no matter what. This will also ensure your pet's safety, keeping them from choking on a string.
- MULTI-SIZE FIT- The Alfapet disposable cat liners for litter box measure at 37” x 18” x 1.5mil each and are the perfect choice for most Large, Extra Large, Giant, and Extra Giant size pans. Thanks to their elastic band, they can easily fit multiple sizes, eliminating guesswork for the pet owner.
- ESSENTIAL PET SUPPLIES- Being a pet owner can get pretty messy and our disposable litter box bags are here to help. They stay always on the pan before, during, and after the cat’s use, they greatly minimize the mess of cleaning up.
- VALUE-PACKED DEAL- With each purchase you get Alfapet’s 10x elastic, disposable litter box liners jumbo in a neat box that can be easily stored away or stacked. In addition to every purchase, we offer 100% money-back guarantee if the product doesn’t suit your needs. Make pet ownership easier and far more enjoyable with Alfapet.
Likewise your litterbox may be too big if you have a kitten or small cat and it just feels scared of all the space in there, in that case opt for a small litterbox…
- Ideal for kittens who benefit from easy entry and exit
- High polished finish that is odor and stain resistant
- Easy to clean
It is also worth noting that some cats don’t love all litter boxes equally.
If that’s the problem with your cat, you might need to search through different litter boxes to figure out the ideal one.
You may think cleaning your litterbox with bleach, disinfectant, or other cleaning products is a good thing because you’re really making sure it’s clean and smells nice, however…
Many cats are put off by the strong chemical smells and even smells like lemon which is present in many cleaners, this can stop them from using the litterbox.
So instead use a fragrant free Enzymatic cleaner, here’s a popular choice that works well…
Why do I recommend this?
Because not only does this remove cat urine smell but also the stain so it your cat will no longer smell any previous cat pee from it, which may be why they’ve stopped using the litterbox.
You can also use this for other purposes
Such as cleaning the kitchen counter, bathroom, pet accessories
It’s a multi purpose which is pretty awesome
You’re getting more for what you pay
That’s a bargain!
You can find out more about what you can use it for and how it works by clicking here
3) The Cat Finds the Plastic Bag Appealing To Pee On
Although it looks strange, some cats enjoy the plastic bag’s texture. Your cat may find the texture exciting to bite on or scratch.
If the cat is urinating on a plastic bag due to its texture or sound, you could try and give it a substitute.
For instance, you can provide it with a cat tree with a sisal rope wrapped around it. Also, you can offer a scratching post secured with a burlap.
You can also provide a toy designed from similar material and a rubber chunk toy or plastic ball.
The plastic bag’s texture may be attractive as a gentle texture for hiding the waste. If this is the issue, you should consider converting the litter into something simpler and softer for burial.
4) The Cat is Having Medical Problems (UTI’s are Common)
It’s normal for cats to prefer a plastic bag over a litter box. However, continuously doing this can be an indication of some medical problems.
If your cat pees in a plastic bag, you need to take it to a veterinary for assessment.
One of the common health issues affecting your cat is a urinary tract infection. This condition may lead to inflammation or blockages in the urethra.
The common symptoms of this health condition include:
- Increased peeing frequency
- Straining to urinate
- Urinating outside the litter box
- Bloody urinex
Detecting UTIs In Cats
What if I said to you, you could get litter that detects any health issues in your cat?
How this works is if your cat has UTI then the litter color will change to Blue or Dark Green
It can potentially save your cats life!
Pretty Litter defines it’s self as “the worlds smartest cat litter” and “Health monitoring litter that won’t break your back, or the bank”.
- Tracks potential illnesses in your cats – the litter changes colour to tell you when your cat has a health issue that needs dealt with.
- No more litter box smell – traps odor instantly and then eliminates moisture, so you’ll never smell your cat’s dirty business again.
- Scoop your cats poop less – no one likes doing it and now you don’t have to.
- Refill just ONCE per month – no longer do you need to refill the box daily!
- Cat litter delivered to your door – so you never run out and have to improvise.
- Cleaner and safer litter – is 99% dust free and household friendly.
- Over 20,000 customer reviews – so you know you’re getting a trusted and loved product.
- PRIME & REVOLUTIONARY CAT LITTER: Genius Litter is a revolutionary natural cat litter that monitors your cat's health. This premium item contains an indicator that responds to deviating values in the urine such as blood, alkaline, bilirubin, or abnormal PH levels.
- SUPER ABSORBENT: Our non-clump crystal sand cat litter allows urine or pee to be absorbed in seconds, the easiest way to keep your catbox fresh all day long. Plus, cleaning the litter box is quick and easy because it stays dry, leaving no trace. Best of all - no odor - making Alpha Paw cat supplies a great choice for multi-cat families.
- LOW-TRACKING: Our natural cat litter refill items do not contain perfume and will not stick to your cat's paws, preventing any unhealthy licking or messy house tracking. It is all natural, hypoallergenic, contains no chemicals and no additives added, safe for you and your cat or kitten.
- BEST ODOR CONTROL & DUST FREE: Help keep the litter box area neat and ready to use for your furry four-legged friend with Alpha Paw dustless cat litter. This scoopable cat litter stays ultra-clean even after weeks of scooping, creating a more inviting and better smelling litter box. Dust-free for less mess when you scoop and pour.
- TRUSTED BRAND: We only want the best for your furry companion, and we are committed to helping them live happier, healthier, and longer lives. Your pet is special and worth it, which is why we design honest, high-quality products curated by pet parents, for pet parents.
If your Cat is all good (I hope he is!) then you need to take a look at the litter box
5) The Cat is Anxious or Stressed So Pees On Plastic Bags
Just like human beings, cats suffer from anxiety and stress. As a result, they will look for ways to calm the situation.
While most cats tend to lick their fur a lot, others tend to chew plastic bags or other items they come across.
If you feel your cat is peeing on a plastic bag due to anxiety and stress, you need to do a couple of things.
First, try to look out for the cause of the anxiety and stress and eliminate it. Also, give some calming supplements to eradicate the stress levels.
6) The Cat Loves the Plastic Bag’s Smell
You might notice your cat rubbing its head on the plastic bag a lot because it finds it has an irresistible smell.
Some chemicals present in the plastic bags have pheromones smell that attracts cats.
7) New House
If you’ve moved to a new house then your cat may find it hard to adjust to their environment
They love routine so a new house can be difficult for them and can cause stress which means peeing outside the litter box
I won’t go into much detail because I’ve written an article about this – Cat not using litter box after moving
Is it Normal for Cats to Pee on Plastic Bags?
Yes. However, it could be a concern in some situations.
Overall, any change in your cat’s bathroom behavior should cause alarm.
If your cat prefers plastic bags when peeing, you should consider keeping the plastic bags away and contact a veterinary about the situation.
Why Does My Cat Pee On Plastic Bags: 7 Reasons
Here’s the possible reasons for your cats peeing on plastic bags…
- Your cat is marking it’s territory.
- There are issues with the litterbox.
- The cat finds the plastic bags appealing.
- There are medical issues like UTI’s present.
- The cat is anxious or stressed.
- It loves the plastic bag smell.
Your Cat Won’t Stop Peeing On Plastic Bags?
If after all this your cat is still peeing on plastic bags (and elsewhere) and just won’t stop then try this…
You just got to follow the steps shown in this guide and hopefully make things easier for you
Last update on 2022-08-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API