If you’re wondering why is my Cat peeing on plastic bags then you’ve come to the right place
In this article you’re going to learn why your little feline friend loves peeing on plastic bags, including…
- Medical reasons.
- Unfamiliar with a new house.
- New arrivals in the family.
- A dirty litter box.
As well as finding out what you can do about them/
And you’ll discover how you can stop this and get them to pee IN the litter box
Let’s get started!
DISCLOSURE: https://catloverhere.com/ is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
Cat peeing on plastic bags, why?
1) The Cat is Marking Territory That’s Why Your Cat Pees On Plastic Bags
Cats are territorial, and they love using urine to mark their territory. If a cat urinates on a plastic bag, it could be looking to demonstrate its dominance over other pets in the building.
If you notice that your cat is peeing on plastic bags, you can undertake several measures to prevent the issue.
First, place a litter box in an area where the cat feels safe and comfortable. It should be in a quiet place far from where the cat eats or sleeps.
Second, try to use a litter box with many sides. This way, the cat will feel a sense of enclosed security and prevent it from marking its territory.
Like this popular enclosed litter box choice…
- MADE IN USA with global materials - The IRIS USA enclosed kitty litter tray offers a functional and private solution to your cat's bathroom needs. With the front entry kitty litter box, everything stays inside and out of sight, and the enclosed design lessens the prevalence of unpleasant odors in the room, something that's sure to make everyone in the family happy.
- ENCLOSED - The hood of the cat litter pan means more privacy for your cat, less litter spillage, and any spraying remains contained within the tall walls of the kitty litter box. It also functions to keep other pets, such as dogs, out of your cat's business, making for a stress-free environment for everyone.
- TIDY - The door flap helps to catch any lingering litter particles on your cat's paws and keep them from spilling out onto the floor, keeping the area neat and clean and making clean-up a breeze.
- ORGANIZED - The included scoop features a hook, allowing you to hang it on the underside of the hood to store it between cleanings and have it within reach whenever it's needed, making the days of hunting around for the scoop a thing of the past.
- GREAT SIZE - Dimensions: 21"L x 18.75"W x 17"H, Door: 9.25"W x 9"H
Or this high sided litterbox option…
- Ideal for cats who like to dig
- High polished finish that is odor and stain resistant
- Ideal for cats who urinate “high”; high sides reduces messes
- Easy to clean
The last solution you can try is to use a pheromone diffuser.
This product discharges a calming chemical substance that helps lower cats’ stress levels and makes them less likely to mark the territory.
- FELIWAY Optimum is a new pheromone discovery, and the best FELIWAY answer to help reduce common signs of stress in cats such as: scratching, urine spraying, tension and conflicts between cats, fears, and reactions to changes
- 93% of cat owners report enhanced calming, with an average satisfaction rating of 9.1 out of 10
- FELIWAY Optimum is a drug free solution that helps cats with more signs of stress, in more situations, and calms cats better than ever; FELIWAY is supported by 25+ years of feline stress expertise
- FELIWAY Optimum heated diffuser covers up to 700 square feet; make sure to plug your diffuser in with the vents up, and for the best results, position the diffuser where your cat spends most of his or her time - avoid plugging the diffuser in under shelves and behind doors, curtains, or furniture
- Starter kit includes 1 diffuser head and 1 vial; make sure to only use a FELIWAY Optimum Diffuser with a FELIWAY Optimum refill (they are not compatible with other brands); to maximize effectiveness, replace the vial once a month, and the diffuser every 6 months
2) Your Cat Doesn’t Love the Litter Box (For Various Reasons)
While there are many reasons why your cat is not using the litter box, you first need to check whether it’s clean. Cats are spotless animals.
Furthermore, cats want to live in a clean environment. If a cat sees a dirty litter box, the chances are high that it will avoid it. Due to this, remember to clean the litter box regularly.
Dirty Litter Box Issues
A Cat will avoid using the litter box if it’s dirty just as how we humans would not want to use a washroom that is not up to our standards
And Cats standards are very high lol
You should try to clean it twice a day and if that’s difficult then at least once a day
I know it can be hard especially if you’re busy and work full time
If that’s the case then you should invest in a automatic litter box
At least that way you know the litter box is cleaned regularly and it will stop this behavior.
Automatic Robotic Self Cleaning Litter Boxes
If you use a Robotic self cleaning litter box then your cats box will always be clean and therefore it will increase the chance that they use it, see some of the best options here…
- Self cleaning
- Odor eliminations
- Google and Alexa voice controls
- Advanced sensors and radars to keep your kitty safe
- Smart connected app
- Triple layer safety protections
- Free Shipping (US only)
- 90 Day Trial
- 1 Year Warranty
Self Cleaning Litter Boxes on Amazon
- THERE IS A NEWER VERSION OF THIS ITEM THE NRA15-V5.0
- Easy to use
- Cleans in seconds. Clean litter drops back into the pan while the waste deposits into a convenient pull-out tray for quick and easy disposal
- Does not require electricity, liners or filters
- Suitable for small to Medium cats
- SELF CLEANING ELITE LITTER BOX REGULAR with extra features including integrated Litter Step, Chrome Plated Locking Clips and Accents and signature Midnight Black Color
- PATENTED SELF CLEANING SIFTING GRATE separates waste from clean litter depositing waste in convenient pull out tray no scooping required!
- FEATURES INTEGRATED LITTER STEP The litter step is designed to catch and contain litter from cats paws. No need for liners, filters or wall plug-in
- STRONGER IMPROVED CLIP DESIGN The Elite features the newer stronger clip design, with the added bonus of chrome plating. STRONGER MORE DURABLE MATERIAL The newer versions of the Roll 'n Clean litter box feature stronger more durable material and a stronger sifting grate.
- PROUDLY MADE IN CANADA
- HANDS-FREE WASTE DISPOSAL - Self cleaning cat litter box with a smart sensor for triggered activation of cleaning cycle. Includes one-month supply of no-touch plastic cat litter bags to use with your cat litter box. Great alternative to traditional cat litter boxes.
- MESS AND ODOR CONTROL - Automatic cat litter box with angled deflector with fins and raised height ensures cat litter clumps stay inside cat litter box litter pan. Cat odor is eliminated with carbon zeolite technology in this automatic litter box. For best results, use lightweight cat litter or less dense cat litter.
- CONVENIENT, COST-EFFECTIVE, EASY TO CLEAN - Being able to choose your favorite lightweight clumping cat litter reduces waste making this litter box much more budget friendly. No need to buy specialized or costly crystal cat litter for your large litter box. Other leading self cleaning litter box and automatic litter box can cost $600.00 annually in refills for one cat. Easy disassembly for cleaning and maintenance with modular components. Clean with pet-friendly soap and water.
- QUIET - Four times quieter than other leading brands of cat litter box automatic self cleaning with no household disruption for your cats or you. Perfect self cleaning litter box for up to 2 cats.
- CUSTOMER CARE & WARRANTY - One-year limited warranty on your electronic automatic cat litter box. Your automatic litter box ships in brown drop-ship box. Not recommended for kittens under 6 months
I have written a article on the best automatic litter box for large cats but it’s the same for normal size cats too: Best automatic cat litter box for large cats
Indeed, a small litter box could be why your cat is avoiding it. If the cat feels confined, it could opt to pee or poop somewhere else.
Luckily, you can solve this problem by swapping the small litter box with a big one.
There’s a good option for a large litterbox here which is perfect for bigger cats…
- OPEN-TOP KITTY LITTER BOX: This large cat litter pan provides ample space on all sides for cats to do their business comfortably, and is great for small cats or kittens to access
- KEEPS LITTER CONTAINED: The jumbo cat litter box features a wide base to keep mess contained within the pan for litter-free floors It features a rim on all sides to easily lift move the pan Dimensions: "22 x 165"
- PET CLEAN UP: Swiftly clean up after your dog or cat while at home or on walks with a variety of waste management products From waste bags, rakes, pans, trainings pads to poop scoopers, litter boxes litter, we've got you your pet covered
- PETMATE CARES: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats, and furry friends in general! Starting with the very first dog kennel, we've produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens, & other small furry friends. Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm Hammer, Booda, Chuckit, Jackson Galaxy, Hyper Pet, PetFusion & more!
Likewise your litterbox may be too big if you have a kitten or small cat and it just feels scared of all the space in there, in that case opt for a small litterbox…
- Ideal for kittens who benefit from easy entry and exit
- High polished finish that is odor and stain resistant
- Easy to clean
It is also worth noting that some cats don’t love all litter boxes equally.
If that’s the problem with your cat, you might need to search through different litter boxes to figure out the ideal one.
You may think cleaning your litterbox with bleach, disinfectant, or other cleaning products is a good thing because you’re really making sure it’s clean and smells nice, however…
Many cats are put off by the strong chemical smells and even smells like lemon which is present in many cleaners, this can stop them from using the litterbox.
So instead use a fragrant free Enzymatic cleaner, here’s a popular choice that works well…
Why do I recommend this?
Because not only does this remove cat urine smell but also the stain so it your cat will no longer smell any previous cat pee from it, which may be why they’ve stopped using the litterbox.
You can also use this for other purposes
Such as cleaning the kitchen counter, bathroom, pet accessories
It’s a multi purpose which is pretty awesome
You’re getting more for what you pay
That’s a bargain!
You can find out more about what you can use it for and how it works by clicking here
3) The Cat Finds the Plastic Bag Appealing To Pee On
Although it looks strange, some cats enjoy the plastic bag’s texture. Your cat may find the texture exciting to bite on or scratch.
If the cat is urinating on a plastic bag due to its texture or sound, you could try and give it a substitute.
For instance, you can provide it with a cat tree with a sisal rope wrapped around it. Also, you can offer a scratching post secured with a burlap.
You can also provide a toy designed from similar material and a rubber chunk toy or plastic ball.
The plastic bag’s texture may be attractive as a gentle texture for hiding the waste. If this is the issue, you should consider converting the litter into something simpler and softer for burial.
4) The Cat is Having Medical Problems (UTI’s are Common)
It’s normal for cats to prefer a plastic bag over a litter box. However, continuously doing this can be an indication of some medical problems.
If your cat pees in a plastic bag, you need to take it to a veterinary for assessment.
One of the common health issues affecting your cat is a urinary tract infection. This condition may lead to inflammation or blockages in the urethra.
The common symptoms of this health condition include:
- Increased peeing frequency
- Straining to urinate
- Urinating outside the litter box
- Bloody urinex
Detecting UTIs In Cats
What if I said to you, you could get litter that detects any health issues in your cat?
How this works is if your cat has UTI then the litter color will change to Blue or Dark Green
It can potentially save your cats life!
Pretty Litter defines it’s self as “the worlds smartest cat litter” and “Health monitoring litter that won’t break your back, or the bank”.
- Tracks potential illnesses in your cats – the litter changes colour to tell you when your cat has a health issue that needs dealt with.
- No more litter box smell – traps odor instantly and then eliminates moisture, so you’ll never smell your cat’s dirty business again.
- Scoop your cats poop less – no one likes doing it and now you don’t have to.
- Refill just ONCE per month – no longer do you need to refill the box daily!
- Cat litter delivered to your door – so you never run out and have to improvise.
- Cleaner and safer litter – is 99% dust free and household friendly.
- Over 20,000 customer reviews – so you know you’re getting a trusted and loved product.
- PRIME & REVOLUTIONARY CAT LITTER: Genius Litter is a revolutionary natural cat litter that monitors your cat's health. This premium item contains an indicator that responds to deviating values in the urine such as blood, alkaline, bilirubin, or abnormal PH levels.
- SUPER ABSORBENT: Our non-clump crystal sand cat litter allows urine or pee to be absorbed in seconds, the easiest way to keep your catbox fresh all day long. Plus, cleaning the litter box is quick and easy because it stays dry, leaving no trace. Best of all - no odor - making Alpha Paw cat supplies a great choice for multi-cat families.
- LOW-TRACKING: Our natural cat litter refill items do not contain perfume and will not stick to your cat's paws, preventing any unhealthy licking or messy house tracking. It is all natural, hypoallergenic, contains no chemicals and no additives added, safe for you and your cat or kitten.
- BEST ODOR CONTROL: Help keep the litter box area neat and ready to use for your furry four-legged friend with Genius Litter. This scoopable cat litter stays ultra-clean even after weeks of scooping, creating a more inviting and better smelling litter box.
- TRUSTED BRAND: We only want the best for your furry companion, and we are committed to helping them live happier, healthier, and longer lives. Your pet is special and worth it, which is why we design honest, high-quality products curated by pet parents, for pet parents.
If your Cat is all good (I hope he is!) then you need to take a look at the litter box
5) The Cat is Anxious or Stressed So Pees On Plastic Bags
Just like human beings, cats suffer from anxiety and stress. As a result, they will look for ways to calm the situation.
While most cats tend to lick their fur a lot, others tend to chew plastic bags or other items they come across.
If you feel your cat is peeing on a plastic bag due to anxiety and stress, you need to do a couple of things.
First, try to look out for the cause of the anxiety and stress and eliminate it. Also, give some calming supplements to eradicate the stress levels.
6) The Cat Loves the Plastic Bag’s Smell
You might notice your cat rubbing its head on the plastic bag a lot because it finds it has an irresistible smell.
Some chemicals present in the plastic bags have pheromones smell that attracts cats.
7) New House
If you’ve moved to a new house then your cat may find it hard to adjust to their environment
They love routine so a new house can be difficult for them and can cause stress which means peeing outside the litter box
I won’t go into much detail because I’ve written an article about this – Cat not using litter box after moving
Is it Normal for Cats to Pee on Plastic Bags?
Yes. However, it could be a concern in some situations.
Overall, any change in your cat’s bathroom behavior should cause alarm.
If your cat prefers plastic bags when peeing, you should consider keeping the plastic bags away and contact a veterinary about the situation.
Why Does My Cat Pee On Plastic Bags: 7 Reasons
Here’s the possible reasons for your cats peeing on plastic bags…
- Your cat is marking it’s territory.
- There are issues with the litterbox.
- The cat finds the plastic bags appealing.
- There are medical issues like UTI’s present.
- The cat is anxious or stressed.
- It loves the plastic bag smell.
Your Cat Won’t Stop Peeing On Plastic Bags?
If after all this your cat is still peeing on plastic bags (and elsewhere) and just won’t stop then try this…
You just got to follow the steps shown in this guide and hopefully make things easier for you
Last update on 2022-11-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API