In this article I will talk about how to stop Cats from peeing on house plants
I will talk about why your Cat may be peeing on your house plants
I will then give you a solution to this problem
Let’s dive in
DISCLOSURE: https://catloverhere.com/ is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
How To Stop Cats From Peeing On House Plants
If you’re like my neighbor that loves Plants in the house then I’m sure you would be very annoyed when your Cat decides he wants to use your Plant as a place to pee
It can be very frustrating
I mean you’re growing these beautiful plants only for your Cat to ruin them by peeing in them
So why is your Cat peeing in your house plants?
Why is he not using the litter box?
These are all questions that need to be answered
Don’t worry I will answer these for you
Carry on reading
Why is my Cat peeing in my house plants?
You see Cats like to pee in soil or loose material
Your house plant is a very appealing spot for your Cat to pee in
So it’s natural for your Cat to pee in something that has soil in it
It could be because it’s similar to this litter box too
Why is my Cat not using the litter box?
Your Cat may be avoiding the litter box for a number of reasons
Cats will usually use the Litter box and they won’t just stop using it for no reason
Let’s go through the reasons your Cat may be avoiding the Litter Box and using your house plants a place to pee
A cat will not use the litter box if they are in pain
One of the most common reasons could be UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)
And other diseases as well
The problem here is you won’t have any idea
So you should try to detect this as quickly as possible
But this is impossible
I’ll tell you why
Cats are very good at hiding away any pain
It’s in their nature not to show any sign of weakness
They are very subtle
So how will it be possible to detect any early sign?
Here’s the solution
A Cat litter name Pretty Litter
Pretty Litter defines it’s self as “the worlds smartest cat litter” and “Health monitoring litter that won’t break your back, or the bank”.
- Tracks potential illnesses in your cats – the litter changes colour to tell you when your cat has a health issue that needs dealt with.
- No more litter box smell – traps odor instantly and then eliminates moisture, so you’ll never smell your cat’s dirty business again.
- Scoop your cats poop less – no one likes doing it and now you don’t have to.
- Refill just ONCE per month – no longer do you need to refill the box daily!
- Cat litter delivered to your door – so you never run out and have to improvise.
- Cleaner and safer litter – is 99% dust free and household friendly.
- Over 20,000 customer reviews – so you know you’re getting a trusted and loved product.
This litter has the ability to monitor your cats health just by a visit to the litter box
The litter changes to a different color if your cat has some sort of medical issue
How awesome is that?
I won’t go into much detail about it but it’s a MUST have for ALL Cat parents
Check out my review where I go into very much detail
It’s a natural cat litter that monitors your cats health by containing an indicator that changes colour when abnormalities in your cats urine are detected.
- PRIME & REVOLUTIONARY CAT LITTER: Genius Litter is a revolutionary natural cat litter that monitors your cat's health. This premium item contains an indicator that responds to deviating values in the urine such as blood, alkaline, bilirubin, or abnormal PH levels.
- SUPER ABSORBENT: Our non-clump crystal sand cat litter allows urine or pee to be absorbed in seconds, the easiest way to keep your catbox fresh all day long. Plus, cleaning the litter box is quick and easy because it stays dry, leaving no trace. Best of all - no odor - making Alpha Paw cat supplies a great choice for multi-cat families.
- LOW-TRACKING: Our natural cat litter refill items do not contain perfume and will not stick to your cat's paws, preventing any unhealthy licking or messy house tracking. It is all natural, hypoallergenic, contains no chemicals and no additives added, safe for you and your cat or kitten.
- BEST ODOR CONTROL: Help keep the litter box area neat and ready to use for your furry four-legged friend with Genius Litter. This scoopable cat litter stays ultra-clean even after weeks of scooping, creating a more inviting and better smelling litter box.
- TRUSTED BRAND: We only want the best for your furry companion, and we are committed to helping them live happier, healthier, and longer lives. Your pet is special and worth it, which is why we design honest, high-quality products curated by pet parents, for pet parents.
Where is the Litter box kept in your house or apartment?
The location of the Litter box is very important because if it’s kept some where in the house where a lot of noise is coming from, chances are your Cat will not use it
If the Litter box is in the Laundry room
The washing machine and dryer will make a lot of noise and this can scare your Cat which will create a negative association using the Litter Box
Make sure the Litter box is not where your Cat eats because your Cat will not appreciate relieving himself near a place where he has his food
If you have a small apartment and don’t know where to put the Litter box I would suggest reading my article
Dirty Litter Box
You wouldn’t use a washroom that is dirty right? Neither will your Cat use a Litter box that is dirty and not clean
Cats are already clean animals so they would need their Litter box cleaned at least everyday
Make sure you clean the Litter Box regularly
Number of Litter Box
General rule is to have a extra Litter box for your Cat
Cats like to pee in one and poo in another
Try adding another Litter box as this usually helps when Cats pee in other places apart from the Litter box
To find out more why your Cat may not be using the Litter box you can check out my article
Wrong Type Of Litter
Your cat may not like the litter being used
Try to change the litter around and see if that helps
But do this gradually because a change in litter drastically may stop your cat using the litter box completely!
How To Stop Your Cat From Peeing In Your House Plants
No more worrying about your house plants being soiled because I’m going to share you with some tips you can use to protect your Plants
1. Place items on the soil that your Cat does not like and find unattractive such as small rocks, citrus peels and pine-cones, this will deter your Cat from using your Plant as a place to urinate
2. Cats hate aluminium foil so place the edge of the pot with foil. This will stop your Cat from climbing the pot
3. You can try and place your Plants in a room where your Cat cannot have access to due to the doors being locked
4. You can also put double sided sticky tape on the edge of the pot. Cats don’t like the feel of sticky tape on their paw
5. Cats hate citrus. So place Orange peels throughout your Plants soil. That will save your Plant from your Cats peeing in them
If your Cat is peeing in your Plants then the first thing you want to do is get your Cat seen by a Vet just to rule out any medical conditions
Your Cat could be peeing in your house plants due to the reasons I mentioned about avoiding the Litter Box
If you follow the tips on how to stop your Cat from peeing in your House Plants, this will hopefully stop this behavior
If you have a problem with your Cat not using the Litter box then I would recommend checking out my article
Last update on 2022-11-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API