This article has everything you need to know on how to stop your senior cat urinating everywhere
In this article you will learn what what is causing this behavior
And how you can help your elderly Cat stop urinating everywhere in the house
So let’s dive straight in
It’s a blessing to have a Cat for such a long period of time
Especially when you have seen them grow up from being a kitten to a full grown up adult
They become family
And seeing them everyday becomes the norm
By the time you know it, they’re 10 years old!
Just like a child, Cats grow up too quick and time just flies by!
I remember when my Cat was a kitten and now he’s nearly 13 years old!
Here’s a picture of him resting like a BOSS on my brothers lap whilst he’s using the Laptop
He’s such a lap Cat now and loves to cuddle and sleep on our Laps
Check out my article on How to raise a Kitten to be cuddly
And as a Cat gets older they can start suffering from age related issues and one of them is urinating everywhere in the house
Age related issues may appear when they are about 7 years old
Some Cats age related issues won’t show up till they’re 10
That is why it’s vital you take your Cat to the Vets
At least once a year
If you can do twice a year then that would be great
This way the Vet can quickly notice any Cat age related issues that are starting to show up and deal with it straight away
When your senior Cat starts to urinate in the house all of a sudden then this is a message to you that something is wrong
There could be a number reasons why your elderly Cat has started behaving this way
I know this can be frustrating but instead of complaining about seeing puddles of urine everywhere, it’s best to find out what’s going on and how you can put a stop to your elderly Cat urinating in the house
Let’s first talk about Why your Cat has started peeing everywhere
DISCLOSURE: https://catloverhere.com/ is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
I came across this guide called Cat Spray Stop which you may want to look at if immediately you’re cat is consistently urinating everywhere…
Senior Cat Urinating Everywhere – Possible Reasons
So why has your senior Cat started to pee everywhere and stopped using the litter box
The first thing to do is to rule out any medical condition by taking your Cat to the vets as mentioned earlier
This is important because we all want our Cats to be healthy and happy
We want them to have a long happy life right?
Taking them to the vets can help stop any medical issues or prevent anything happening
Did you know
UTIs in Cats
Senior Cats are more likely to develop kidney problems, urinary tract infections or even diabetes
That is why going to the vets is very important so if this is the case (I pray it’s not) then it can be dealt with swiftly
It’s a natural cat litter that monitors your cats health by containing an indicator that changes colour when abnormalities in your cats urine are detected.
- PRIME & REVOLUTIONARY CAT LITTER: Genius Litter is a revolutionary natural cat litter that monitors your cat's health. This premium item contains an indicator that responds to deviating values in the urine such as blood, alkaline, bilirubin, or abnormal PH levels.
- SUPER ABSORBENT: Our non-clump crystal sand cat litter allows urine or pee to be absorbed in seconds, the easiest way to keep your catbox fresh all day long. Plus, cleaning the litter box is quick and easy because it stays dry, leaving no trace. Best of all - no odor - making Alpha Paw cat supplies a great choice for multi-cat families.
- LOW-TRACKING: Our natural cat litter refill items do not contain perfume and will not stick to your cat's paws, preventing any unhealthy licking or messy house tracking. It is all natural, hypoallergenic, contains no chemicals and no additives added, safe for you and your cat or kitten.
- BEST ODOR CONTROL: Help keep the litter box area neat and ready to use for your furry four-legged friend with Genius Litter. This scoopable cat litter stays ultra-clean even after weeks of scooping, creating a more inviting and better smelling litter box.
- TRUSTED BRAND: We only want the best for your furry companion, and we are committed to helping them live happier, healthier, and longer lives. Your pet is special and worth it, which is why we design honest, high-quality products curated by pet parents, for pet parents.
Cats are very clean animals
Your elderly Cat will not use a litter box that is filthy, just as humans, we would not want to use a filthy washroom so why would your Cat use a litter box that is not cleaned
Make sure the litter box is cleaned regularly
If you have only one litter box per Cat I would recommend getting another litter box.
Your Cat could forget where the litter box is – They can suffer from dementia the older they get. This is called Feline Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS) which is identical to Alzheimer disease
Having a second litter box will help if your Cat forgets where the other litter box is
Also Cats tend to use one litter box to pee in and another to poo in.
You can check out my article on how to get your Cat to use the litter box for more in depth detail
Location of Litter Box
The location of the litter box is very important especially with senior Cats
Think like a senior Cat – Is the litter box somewhere high where your Cat has to climb?
Does your Cat need to jump over something or onto something to get access to the litter?
It will be difficult for a elderly Cat to require so much effort to access the litter box which could be a reason why your elderly Cat is peeing everywhere
Type Of Litter
As Cats get older they can start to get picky and this means your Cat may not like the litter anymore or the texture of the litter is not something your Cats paws appreciate
Try changing it around and see which litter your Cat prefers, here’s a solid soft litter recommendations which will go easy on your old cats paws…
- Natural Cat Litter: Our next-generation, plant-based, premium clumping, super soft cat litter is purrrfect for cats with sensitive paws or even kittens, with a texture similar to clay for easy transitioning.
- Exceptional Odor Control: Wood fiber naturally prevents enzymes from bonding with liquid and waste to stop the creation of ammonia and odor
- Clumping Litter: Precision cut wood fiber absorbs liquid on contact, forming solid, easy-to-scoop clumps that make cleaning the litter box quick and easy
- 99 percent Dust-Free: Our low-dust cat litter is made from clean wood fiber that has been screened and de-dusted for a cleaner pour and a healthier home and no dirty clay dust
- Natural Cat Litter: Our sustainable cat litter is free of artificial fragrance, synthetic chemicals, toxic dyes, and GMOs; unlike clay, our biodegradable, compostable cat litter degrades quickly and cleanly
We humans or should I say “Cat Slaves” get stressed and so does your Cat
Cats can get stressed for a number of reasons
- Another Cat entering into your Garden or neighborhood
- You are stressed can make your Cat stressed
- Change in environment (New furniture or renovation)
- Moving houses
These are some factors that can trigger stress in your Cat which leads to inappropriate urination
If you think your Cat is stressed then you should read How to calm a stressed Cat down
Alternatively, use a cat
- FELIWAY Optimum is a new pheromone discovery, and the best FELIWAY answer to help reduce common signs of stress in cats such as: scratching, urine spraying, tension and conflicts between cats, fears, and reactions to changes
- 93% of cat owners report enhanced calming, with an average satisfaction rating of 9.1 out of 10
- FELIWAY Optimum is a drug free solution that helps cats with more signs of stress, in more situations, and calms cats better than ever; FELIWAY is supported by 25+ years of feline stress expertise
- FELIWAY Optimum heated diffuser covers up to 700 square feet; make sure to plug your diffuser in with the vents up, and for the best results, position the diffuser where your cat spends most of his or her time - avoid plugging the diffuser in under shelves and behind doors, curtains, or furniture
- Starter kit includes 1 diffuser head and 1 vial; make sure to only use a FELIWAY Optimum Diffuser with a FELIWAY Optimum refill (they are not compatible with other brands); to maximize effectiveness, replace the vial once a month, and the diffuser every 6 months
How Do I Stop My Older Cat Urinating In The House
Now you know why your aging Cat is urinating everywhere, I’m sure you want to know how to stop this behavior
Here’s how you can put a stop to this
It’s very simple
Just as mentioned above all the reasons why your Cat may be peeing everywhere you just have to make sure you correct them
The first and foremost thing you need to do is take your Cat to the Vets to ensure he is healthy and it’s not because of a medical condition.
If you have only one litter box for your Cat, get another one and see if that helps
The location of the litter box – is it in a place where your Cat has easy access?
Is your Cat stressed because of other Cats entering into his territory (your Garden or house)
These are the points you need to look at and tackle them.
Your elderly Cat will not just stop using the litter box all of a sudden
There’s a reason behind it and we as Cat parents need to play detective mode and get to the bottom of this by understanding why they are doing this
I came across this guide called Cat Spray Stop
Is My Elderly Cat Spraying Or Urinating?
There are 2 types of urine that a Cat does
One is urinating which is when your Cat sits down and just slightly above the ground and relieves himself.
If you fine urine in your house and it’s a puddle then that means your Cat has urinated
Spraying – This is when your Cat lifts it’s erect and sprays urine leaving a couple of drops
You will find these drops mostly on horizontal surfaces such as curtains, doors, cupboards, by the window
When your Cat sprays then this means your Cat is marking his territory
If you have neutered your cat and he’s still spraying then check out my article
This is one of the most common problems ALL Cat parents face.
My Cat loved marking his territory and would spray everywhere!
The worst thing is, you can never find where your Cat has sprayed because of the small drops
I’m sure you Cat parents must have faced this situation
I couldn’t take this behavior anymore so I bought Cat Spray Stop which is this really awesome guide that goes in depth on how to stop Cats from spraying permanently and it has been a big help in understanding why your Cat is spraying.
I would really recommend this guide to ALL Cat parents because the mistake we do when our Cat spray is shout at them and just live with it..
We need to understand why they spray and tackle the problem from it’s root
It’s well worth a look, check it out here…
How To Stop Your Senior Cat Urinating Everywhere
If your Cat does start urinating outside the litter box then you should visit the vets as soon as possible to make sure your Cat is not suffering from any medical conditions
By going through this article you will be able to stop this behavior and gain a better understanding why your Cat is behaving in this manner.
It does take time so patience is key
Whatever you do, please do not ever shout at your Cat or worse hit them
This will just leave a negative impact on them and they will be afraid of you which is the last thing any Cat parent would want.
Show them love and affection and be patient with them.
And remember Cat Spray Stop will put an end to this problem forever if it’s a common issues, read it here…
Last update on 2023-01-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API