In this article I’m going to talk about how to stop a Cat from meowing at night
I’m going to talk about why they meow at night
How you can stop this.. Once and for all!
The best part?
You can finally get a good nights sleep
Let’s get straight to it…
Cats are adorable right?
They become family right away
And we love them to bits!
Unconditional love we have for them
Until they start doing things which can really frustrate us
And one of them is the constant meowing at night
I mean non stop meowing
It can really drive a person insane
Especially when you are trying to sleep
And you have work the next morning
My Cat would love to wake me up at 5am! (I would start work at 9am)
Imagine this scenario or you don’t need to
Because I’m sure you’ve been there
DISCLOSURE: https://catloverhere.com/ is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
Why Your Cat Is Meowing At Night
Your cat is not meowing at night to frustrate you
Or just to wake you up
They’re just being a cat and to get your attention they have to meow right?
There’s always a reason why your cat is being very vocal at night
What’s important here to toÂ understand why your cat is meowing and how you can then stop thisÂ
Let’s look at some of the reasons why your at is meowing at night
1. Medical Condition
The first thing you need to do is rule out any medical conditions
You should take them to the vets
Cats can become vocal due to something that is bothering them
As Cats get older, they’re prone to developing thyroid or kidney diseases
It’s important to make sure your Cat is healthy and is not in pain
2. Feed Your Cat Later In The EveningÂ
Cats will sleep well after they have had a good meal
Feed your Cat just before you go to sleep
That should help your Cat sleep during the night
You may need to divide your Cats last meal of the deal into two servings
So you could feed your Cat at 5pm
Then give the last portion at 10pm
This will help your Cat feel satiated throughout the night and into the morning
Even us humans sleep well after a good meal!
If you think your cat gets hungry during the night
Which is why she’s meowing to get your attention
Then you need to feed her at night
It’s not nice leaving your cat hungry all through the night
So does that mean you have to wake up at night and feed your cat?
I got some good news
You can feed your cat even when you’re sleeping
We live in a advance technology world
So there’s automatic cat feeders that can feed your cat
And I’m not talking about just dry food
Feed your cat wet food
That’s why I would recommend you check out
- Material-Plastic. Five food compartments will serve up to five meals, one initial feed and four further timed feeds while you are away. Each holds 11. 5 ounces wet food.
- removable, easy-to-clean cover and bowl (also dishwasher-safe)
- battery status indicator. Two cooling ice packs and one close-fitting cover keep the feed fresh
- uses 3 x AA batteries (not included)
This automatic cat feeder has a digital timer that you can set to feed your cat wet food
Pretty awesome right?
You can find out more by clicking the link below
3. Play With Your Cat During The Evening
You could schedule some time during the evening to play with your Cat
What I love doing is playing with a toy that has mouse at the end of it
This toy mouse squeaks every time it moves
Then I let my Cat run after it
He loves that
He will chase it so much
This is a good idea of getting your Cat tired which will make him want to sleep during the night
You can also get a Cat laser toy
- SAFE FOR PETS: The Bolt features a Class IIIa laser with a 5mW max power output for a safe play experience; Requires 4 AA batteries (sold separately); For best performance, use only alkaline batteries; Class IIIa Laser Product
- AUTOMATIC PLAY: The Bolt automatically turns the laser off after 15 minutes to prevent your cat from being over-stimulated and keep the game exciting; <5mW Max output at 650nm
- ENTERTAINING TO CATS: The exciting laser moves randomly across floors and walls which appeals to the natural hunting instinct of cats; use the mirror adjust button to control where the laser points
- PRODUCT SUPPORT: PetSafe brand's U.S.-based Customer Care experts will be glad to help
- EXPERIENCE: PetSafe brand has been an industry leading U.S. manufacturer of pet behavior, containment and lifestyle products since 1991, helping millions of people and pets each year
They love chasing that red dot
They literally go crazy over it
Be cautious with this and make sure it is never shone directly in your Cats eyes
4. Introduce Another Cat For Companion
Who wouldn’t love some company
Your Cat will have someone to play with if he is active at night
This could be a great way of getting your Cat to stop meowing at night
Both romping Cats can make a lot of noise which could disturb your sleep just as one trying to wake you up!
5. Play during the day
Just like playing with your Cat during the evening
You should play with your Cat during the day and burn some of that energy your Cat has
The more active your Cat is during the day and the more she plays
The more tired he’ll be at night which will make him sleep
Try getting a variety of toys so they don’ get bored easily
6. Keep Your Cat Stress Free
If you have moved houses or even just redecorated the house this can cause your Cat to be upset
Which will lead to stress
If you’re moving houses then the daily routine of your Cat will literally go all pear shaped
What you should try and do is keep the routine as similar to normal as possible
Try to keep the feeding schedule the same
Make some time for your Cat and play with him
Show him love and affection during these times
A Cat that is not stressed and feels safe and secure is most likely not going to meow constantly at night
If your Cat is stressed then check out my article on how to calm a stressed Cat downÂ
7. Ignore Your Cats Behavior and Meowing
If your Cat has just started meowing then it is vital that you do not encourage this behavior
Don’t give your Cat any attention when he is constantly meowing
If you do this then your Cat will used to the fact that every time he meows he’ll get a response
This will create a real problem
What you do is
Stop giving him attention
He will try twice as hard to try and get your attention until he understands that meowing will not get him anywhere
This strategy is called extinction burst or you could say “it gets worse before it gets better”
You have to be patient though
As this could last up to a few weeks
But continue to ignore the behavior no matter what and it should get better
8. Fresh Water Available
Cats can get thirsty at times and they’ll meow to let you know they are thirsty.
Do make sure you have fresh water available for your kitty at all times
If your cat gets thirsty at night
It’s hard waking up from your deep sleep to provide water for your cat
And you don’t want to leave water out all night
But what if I told you, you can give fresh water to your cat at night without you waking up?
Yep, technology again!
Check this awesome automatic pet fountain out
- High-grade stainless-steel top is durable, hygienic and dishwasher-safe. All in one package includes 3 carbon filters, 1 Foam Filter, 2 cleaning brushes and 1 Mat. Food grade material and BPA free cat fountain is safe for your pets.
- Intelligent pump with Indicator light: The pump is quiet (below 40 dB). Low-voltage pump is reliable and easy to maintain. Observe water level through the window. Auto power-off pump for dry running protection.
- Circulating filtration system: The circulating filtration system uses a replaceable round filter to purify the water, remove hair, dirt and food particles plus a pre-filter sponge to catch the hair and debris.
- 3 flow designs to encourage drinking: 360° multi-directional streams aerate the water for added oxygen and freshness. A source of running water encourages pets to drink more rather than still water. 3 different drinking modes.
- Assemble and dissemble: Wonder Creature pet fountain only takes a few minutes to set up and disassemble for cleaning and maintenance.
9. Night Light For Elderly Cat
If your Cat is elderly then his Eyes may not work as well as it used to.
Your Cat will benefit from a night light and this may help him sleep at night
10. Lonely Cat
Sometimes your cat could be meowing because they are lonely and bored
So they want to get your attention at night
The problem is you need to sleep so you can’t show them the attention they crave
That is why during the day try to show your cat as much love and affection you can
Spend some quality time with them
You don’t want your cat to become lonely because this can cause depression
I actually go into more detail in my article
How To Get a Cat To Sleep At Night Instead of Meowing
If you follow the points mentioned above
This will help not only you get a goodnight sleep
Get your Cat to sleep at night too
That way you can play with your Cat during the day
Most importantly get a good nights sleep
Just to summarize on how to get a Cat to sleep at night
- Set up a schedule for your Cat and stick to this schedule. Cats love routine so try to ensure you go to bed at a certain time. This will help your Cat adjust to your timing
- Try and create the same environment every night. If you sleep with the lights off (I’m sure you do!) then turn them off. Create the same environment and your Cat will pick up that it is time to sleep
- As mentioned earlier, feed your Cat just before you go to bed. This will keep your Cat full during the night
- Play with your Cat during the day. Your Cat has plenty of energy especially if he is a Kitten. Try to tire them out during the day so they can sleep during the night
Ways To Stop A Cat From Meowing At Night
It’s not impossible to stop your cat meowing at night
First it’s about understanding why your cat is meowing
And then attending to their needs
If your cat is getting you up at night for a feed then you should feed your cat before you go bed
Hopefully this keeps your cat full during the night
If this doesn’t work then you should get a automatic pet feeder
At least your cat will have access to food and won’t wake you up
I know it can be difficult to stop this behavior
And it may take time
But this is just a phase that will soon pass
Another thing I want to mention is to get your cat a cat tree
Cats love them and your cat will love playing on it
So if your cat does wake up at night and is bored then at least she has a cat tree to play on
I actually have written a article on awesome cat trees that are very affordable
You can check it out by clicking the link below
Last update on 2022-08-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API