You’re going to learn how to stop your Cat from urinating in the house
The Litter box is right there! But she just doesn’t want to know!
I know the feeling
Cats are adorable and we Cat lovers love them to bits
Until they start urinating in places other than the Litter box!
It’s a nightmare
That stress and worry when you’re out shopping and your Cat is alone at home
You come back home and behold! Your little feline friend has decided to use your beautiful rug as a Litter box
So now you have a puddle of urine on your rug and your house smells really bad
I’m sure you will agree with me when I say when your Cat has urinated somewhere other than the litter box, it can literally make your house smell like a litter box.
The strong smelling protein, which is in Cat urine, is a scent that is near impossible to get rid of.
Let’s go through how you can prevent your Cat from urinating in the house so you can enjoy a day out without constant worrying about coming to your house that smells like Cat urine
DISCLOSURE: https://catloverhere.com/ is reader supported so if you buy any products featured on this site I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure here.
Are you facing this issue constantly and desperate to stop it? Then I came across this guide which worked wonders when my cat was urinating all over the house.
It’s called Cat Spray Stop which is essential for you to take a look at, check it out here…
How To Stop a Cat From Urinating In The House
Your cat is peeing in the house because he is trying to tell you that something is wrong.
So the first thing you have to do is address the problem on why your Cat is behaving in this manner.
Are there other Cats coming into your Garden?
Is your Cat stressed?
Or maybe he is not happy about his litter box?
Due to medical reasons or behavioral reason or it could even be something else that makes your Cat may pee in the house. You can use these lists to find out
It is vital to make sure that your Cat is not suffering from any medical condition as this is the most common cause of incontinence in Cats.
You should get your Cat checked out by a vet to make sure that these conditions are not the reasons
- Urinary tract infection (UTI) – if you notice that your cat is peeing often then it may be he is suffering from urinary tract infection
- Bladder stones – if your cat’s abdomen is tender to touch, or you notice that he is going to the litter box often or you can see he is in some kind of pain or distress for example crying or meowing then you can suspect there may be some sort of obstruction of some kind. If you see some traces of blood in your Cats urine then it is likely that your Cat is suffering from a serious blockage. You must take your Cat to the vets immediately.
- Feline interstitial cystitis – Your cat may pee suddenly and because of this cannot make it to the litter box. This can happen because of inflammation of the bladder.
If you are interested in detecting these early healthy signs then you’re going to be blown away with what I’m going to say next
Cats are very subtle at hiding their pain
So the problem is
You won’t ever know if they are in pain internally
They’ll act like they’re better
I know you wouldn’t want to realize too late that right in front of you
Your cat was actually suffering
So how can you detect any early signs of a UTI or a kidney disease?
That’s right, this litter detects UTI’s in your cat through changing the colour of it’s litter and it works wonders, check it out here…
- PRIME & REVOLUTIONARY CAT LITTER: Genius Litter is a revolutionary natural cat litter that monitors your cat's health. This premium item contains an indicator that responds to deviating values in the urine such as blood, alkaline, bilirubin, or abnormal PH levels.
- SUPER ABSORBENT: Our non-clump crystal sand cat litter allows urine or pee to be absorbed in seconds, the easiest way to keep your catbox fresh all day long. Plus, cleaning the litter box is quick and easy because it stays dry, leaving no trace. Best of all - no odor - making Alpha Paw cat supplies a great choice for multi-cat families.
- LOW-TRACKING: Our natural cat litter refill items do not contain perfume and will not stick to your cat's paws, preventing any unhealthy licking or messy house tracking. It is all natural, hypoallergenic, contains no chemicals and no additives added, safe for you and your cat or kitten.
- BEST ODOR CONTROL: Help keep the litter box area neat and ready to use for your furry four-legged friend with Genius Litter. This scoopable cat litter stays ultra-clean even after weeks of scooping, creating a more inviting and better smelling litter box.
- TRUSTED BRAND: We only want the best for your furry companion, and we are committed to helping them live happier, healthier, and longer lives. Your pet is special and worth it, which is why we design honest, high-quality products curated by pet parents, for pet parents.
If your Cat is peeing in the house due to behavioral reasons then you will need to find out why
- If your cat is stressed then this could be a reason your Cat is behaving in this manner
- If you have introduced a new pet or have moved to a new house or maybe have new people living with you then this may cause your Cat to feel threatened. A change in environment or a change in their schedule can have a negative impact on your cat
- it’s important to know the difference between spraying and marking their territory. Cats will mark their territory if they feel threatened. You need to ask yourself, is there a reason why your Cat needs to either mark or claim their territory?
- If your cat has a habit of peeing in a spot then he will most likely return to the same spot. This is because the smell is there which makes the Cat think it is the right place to urinate and also because he has the habit now of peeing in the same spot.
Cat de-stressers can work wonders for calming cats down including mines, this is a very popular one…
- FELIWAY is vet recommended, and the #1 selling solution: FELIWAY MultiCat may help to reduce common signs of tension between cats at home such as conflict, fighting, chasing and blocking
- 84% of Cat Owners saw significant improvement when using FELIWAY MultiCat*
- FELIWAY MultiCat diffuser is a drug free solution that mimics a mother cat’s natural nursing pheromones to stimulate social contact and acceptance
- Plug the diffuser in with the vents facing up, and avoid placing the diffuser under shelves and behind doors, curtains, or furniture: for the best results, place in the room(s) where your cat spends most of his or her time
- Starter kit includes 1 diffuser head and 1 vial; to maximize effectiveness, replace the vial once a month, and the diffuser every 6 months
The Litter Box
Cats are known to be very clean animals. Think about it, how much time do you see your Cat groom themselves throughout the day. If their litter box is not clean then they will not use it.
Would you use a dirty smelly toilet? I highly doubt it. Therefore Cats will not use a litter box that is dirty.
We tend to ignore the obvious and take our Cat to the vet immediately only then realize that the problem is very simple and right in our face. The Litter Box.
In the questions below, if you answer yes then this may be your reason
- Is your litter box located in a place where there is not much privacy?
- Is the litter box dirty?
- Do you have enough litter boxes for all the cats you have in your house?
- Has you Cat ever been prevented usage to the litter box?
- Does the litter box have sides or hoods that are high?
- Whilst your Cat has been using the litter box, have they ever been interrupted or been upset?
- Could there be any negative associations your Cat might have with the Litter box?
- Is the litter box placed a spot which is cramped? Could the litter box being placed in a cramped spot strike fear of getting trapped? Or make it difficult to escape?
- Have you moved your Cats litter box recently
If your Cat is peeing in the very same spot all the time then you should check out my article
I came across this guide called Cat Spray Stop
Changing Your Cats Behavior
When you have identified the reason your Cat is peeing in the house, you can then begin to change it’s behavior which will take time.
- If you have introduced a new cat in the house then give them separate litter box. Why? because sometimes Cat can show aggression through urinating. It is important to let them have their own territories until they are comfortable with each other
- If you Cat feels threatened due to a new baby that has come into the house or a new guest then give your time to adjust
- Moving houses will have a big impact in your Cats life because it will be new territory and also there might be scent left from the previous owners pet which may make your Cat react. Your will also be claiming and adjusting to this new territory. It’s important to lovingly reassure your Cat and remove any odor previous cats may have left in order to stop your cat from marking their territory.
- You’ll need to remove any traces of smell where your Cat is urinating or you can block it off completely. When cleaning the spot you should use enzymatic and cover the the area with foil or plastic and prevent access to this area for several weeks in order for the neutralizer enough time to work.
You should reassure your Cat and show that your Cat is an important part of the family. Give them extra attention, affection and always praise your Cat.
If you have neutered your cat and is still spraying then check out my article
What You Should Not Do
It takes time and patience to get your Cat to use the litter box. You should not punish your Cat. Here are a few things to consider and keep in mind
- Never shout or scream at your Cat and drag it to the litter box. That is a big no no!
- You should keep the litter box away from where your Cat eats and drinks
- Never rub your Cats nose into the urine or feces
Homemade Cat repellents you can create to stop your cat from peeing in the house
Three things that cats detest is – Lemon juice, rosemary and white vinegar. If you mix these together and use it in a spray bottle then simply spray where you want Cat tends to urinate. This will hopefully stop your Cat from peeing in those spots
You can also leave orange and lemon peel in the places where your cat is urinating. Cats hate citrus scents. Just make sure you replace the peels once they get old and lose their smell.
Another homemade cat repellent you can make is
- Boil 2 cups of water in a pan
- Add lemon, orange or you can add tangerine peels (about one cup)
- For about 20 minutes, let this simmer and then remove the heat and let it cool down
- Once it is cool, you can pour it into a spray bottle. Add two teaspoons of lemon juice and squirt dish soap preferably lemon-scented and then shake to mix it.
This can then be used to spray on walls, furniture or any part of the floor you want your cat avoid.
I’ve actually written an article about removing cat spray smell which you can check out by clicking on the link below
Removing the scent to prevent the return of your Cat
In order to stop your cat from peeing in the house, then you must remove the odor. You cat will keep returning to the area as long as the scent is there as they can pick this up.
Clean up the urine as quickly as possible. You should wipe up the urine with paper towel and then use a odor neutralizer and a disinfectant.
Use a cleaning spray that contains orange oil as this works best. Why? Because as mentioned before, cats hate the smell of citrus and will avoid it. You can also use vinegar and warm water solution.
Cats can smell the urine even though us humans cannot
- Not all urine will be noticeable so you will need a black UV light to show you everything even in spots that you did not know about.
- You can use aluminium foil to cover up the spots where your Cat has urinated as Cats do not like the texture or sound of it and will tend to avoid it.
- Another option is to move your Cats food and water dish as a Cat will not pee where it eats.
This is a good option for removing the cat scent completely so that not even your cat can detect it…
- Set-in stain destroyer
- Works to penetrate, separate and lift Embedded stains and odors
- For use on carpets, hard floors, furniture, & more (See directions for use for listed fabrics)
- Fresh Orange scent
- Safe for pets & home, when used as directed
By following these steps mention in the article you will be able to stop your Cat from peeing in the house
But do remember, this does take time and patience.
If you really want your Cat to stop peeing in the house then it’s important to get to the root of the problem.
Why are they peeing outside the litter box?
I, personally had this problem with my Cat peeing everywhere in the house!
He would spray everywhere and pee where he wants.
Even with the litter box right in front of him he wouldn’t use it.
So I decided to try the Cat Spray Stop method and it worked wonders, learn more about it here…
It’s this awesome guide that is created to help us Cat parents solve this problem of our little Kitty not using the Litter box
The best part?
It’s easy to follow
It’s a step by step system that anyone can follow!
And to be honest with you, at first it does look sketchy but I have no regrets!
At the end of the day, I wanted to remove this common problem and pain that every Cat parent goes through.
Instead of shouting or using a stern voice I now know the real reasons my Cat will not use the litter box.
For me, this is the most important thing being a Cat parent – building that connection and helping my Cat do what’s right which in reality helps me too!
My Cat has stopped spraying in the house now.. Happy days!
I would recommend this guide to every Cat Parent – it really is a must have!
But hurry because the price could change anytime!
Oh and did I mention this comes with a 60 day money back guarantee!
So if you’re not entirely happy with this then you can get a FULL refund within 60 days. No questions asked.
So basically it’s a win win situation.
Here’s where you can get your hands on this awesome guide by clicking here > Cat Spray Stop
Last update on 2022-11-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API